Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

ACT Permissions error

Re: ACT Permissions error

Hi Greg,

Thank you soooo much!!! It was the very last item on this list: Changing the Naming Method at the Shared Database

I changed the server name to the ip address and all connected just fine! Big big thanks to you :-)

Kind regards

julie

I am having a similar problem.  ACT2013 database residing on a W7 workstation in Public Documents folder.  Changed server name to IP address and solved connection problems from my remote machine.  Deployed same .pad file to new user on older XP machine.  Connected successfully and did some work in ACT.  Now when he tries to connect, he gets the "you do not have appropriate share permissions" error.  My machine continues to access perfectly.  Changed his user config to Administrator with no success.  Set sharing on Act Database folder to Everyone with no success.  Any idea what could be causing this?  Why would it work once and then not?

Highlighted
Platinum Elite Contributor

Hello regmemphis1,
Can he manually browse to the database files from his machine? Have him go to his Start menu, click Run, and type in "\\(server IP address) and see if it takes him directly to the shared folders on the server.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Database resides in a shared folder that exists as a mapped drive on XP remote machine, so easy to navigate to database files.  Double Clicked .pad file on server/workstation and got same old IP address error that we got on other .pad's until we replaced workstation name with IP address.   This shared folder contains other important information that needs to be accessed, and no problems getting to that.  Also, no problems going into the ACT database folder and seeing .pad, .adt and .alf files or even digging deeper.

Platinum Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Try giving him a local copy of the .pad file and putting it on his desktop (not a shortcut). Change the host name back to the server name if needed.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

He has a local copy of .pad on desktop.  It has IP address instead of computer name (which is what it took to access from my remote machine.)  That's the method we've tried as primary but ended up with the error message.  I just thought Iw ould try double clicking the .pad while accessing the folder - and to demonstrate that we had access.

I am having the same permissions error and the KB article referenced does not come up on any search.

We had a pc with this issue. We learned that it had 2 sets of windows credentials. We originally fixed the issued by adding the ip address of the host pc to the login icon of this pc. But when the password was updated, that pc only asked for new credentials for the ip address but still had the old credentials for the name of the host pc.

We lost a lot of time figuring this out. Having 2 sets of credentials can confuse the computer in the long run.

Act's KB has changed and of course you cannot just go straight to the KB article listed above.  I think that the following link takes you to the "new" version of that same KB article:

https://help.act.com/hc/en-us/articles/360024245574-Error-Cannot-find-database-supplemental-files-fo...