Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT Outlook sync troubles

ACT Outlook sync troubles

Versions:
Sage ACT! Pro 2011 Version 13.0.401.0, Hot Fix 2
Outlook 2007 SP2
We started using Sage ACT recently having never used it before.  Upto now we've been using Outlook alone and the plan was to continue using Outlook alongside and keep the contacts synced.
One problem is that the ACT Outlook sync is creating lots of duplicate contacts in Outlook.  In our Outlook contacts there are instances of 5 or 6 of the same contact.
Also on a few PCs in the company we're experiencing a problem where the entire PC slows down; things like excel files can take a minutes and a half to open.  If we stop the ACT outlook sync processes in task manager, the PC goes back to normal.
Has anyone else had these kinds of problems with Outlook sync?  Any ideas on what we can do?

VersionsSmiley Frustratedage ACT! Pro 2011 Version 13.0.401.0, Hot Fix 2Outlook 2007 SP2

We started using Sage ACT recently having never used it before.  Upto now we've been using Outlook alone and the plan was to continue using Outlook alongside and keep the contacts synced.
One problem is that the ACT Outlook sync is creating lots of duplicate contacts in Outlook.  In our Outlook contacts there are instances of 5 or 6 of the same contact.
Also on a few PCs in the company we're experiencing a problem where the entire PC slows down; things like excel files can take a minutes and a half to open.  If we stop the ACT outlook sync processes in task manager, the PC goes back to normal.
Has anyone else had these kinds of problems with Outlook sync?  Any ideas on what we can do?

Re: ACT Outlook sync troubles

I'd really like to understand how the Outlook sync works.  Today I decided to try deleting all of my Outlook contacts and syncing with ACT to repopulate Outlook.  In Outlook synchronization preferences I made sure I'd selected 'All ACT! Contacts.  When I synced I got 305 contacts in my Outlook.  The database consists of 2306.

I don't understand what's happening - why did it only send across a fraction of the contacts?

Platinum Super Contributor

Duplicated contacts when synchronizing Act! with Outlook can be caused by synchronizing Outlook with other products (ex: a Blackberry).  When you re-establish the sync, be sure to only sync Act! and Outlook to ensure it is not creating duplicates - then add in the additional program and see if duplicates are created.

Act! retains information about the contacts that have been synced to Outlook, including which ones were deleted from Outlook - so that it will not readd them with the next sync.  For instructions to reset the log of data synced visit this article: KB Article 27105

Greg Martin
Sage

That's helpful gmartin - best advice I've had so far and I'll have to do some experimenting with it.  Appreciate it.

We do use Windows smart phones and sync these with outlook using active sync.  Will we be unable to make use of this alongside the ACT Outlook sync then?  The way we were hoping to use ACT was that contacts would go ACT -> Outlook -> Phone.