Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT Outlook Service problems - Progress tab and memory hog

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

ACT Outlook Service problems - Progress tab and memory hog

I am running ACT! 2009 on a Vista laptop.  I installed ACT two or three weeks ago.  The Attach to ACT Progress window has over 180 messages in it.  It keeps cycling, saying that it is processing message 1 of 2 every few seconds, but nothing ever happens.  If I hit the Stop button, it says it is going to move the messages to the Not Attached tab, but it doesn't.  I had a similar number of messages in the Not Attached tab.  I can't tell why some end up there and some stay stuck in Progress.  I can delete the messages from the Not Attached tab, but not from the Progress tab, so I don't seem to be able to clear up the problem. 

A second problem, likely related, is that the act.outlook.service.exe process will take over the computer (especially when its idle) and I have to end the process to release the computer from the quicksand of that badly behaved little bugger.  Right now for example, it is hogging 1,447,012K of memory!  Sometimes it will keep using up memory until there is no more and I get an out of memory error.

Any help out there?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author ecorpinc
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: ACT Outlook Service problems - Progress tab and memory hog

The messages under the Progress tab *have* been successfully attached.  What you see is just a visual representation of the log file.  The middle tab, Not Attached, are the ones that are still in the queue, and are what is taking up the memory, altho 180 messages is not that much, not sure why it's taking so much memory.

Go to "C:\Documents and Settings\%user%\Application Data\ACT\ACT for Web\HistoryQueue" (could be ACT for Windows on your machine) and delete the *.msg files in there.  Then go one directory under to Holding and delete the XML files.  Restart the Act.Outlook.Service.exe program (just restart your computer) and see how that goes.

As I'm typing this, I'm also typing a blog entry for this exact issue, will be posted later this evening with more detailed info...

Richard Brust
ACT! Certified Consultant
richard@rbrDataSolutions.com

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author ecorpinc
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Nickel Elite Contributor

The messages under the Progress tab *have* been successfully attached.  What you see is just a visual representation of the log file.  The middle tab, Not Attached, are the ones that are still in the queue, and are what is taking up the memory, altho 180 messages is not that much, not sure why it's taking so much memory.

Go to "C:\Documents and Settings\%user%\Application Data\ACT\ACT for Web\HistoryQueue" (could be ACT for Windows on your machine) and delete the *.msg files in there.  Then go one directory under to Holding and delete the XML files.  Restart the Act.Outlook.Service.exe program (just restart your computer) and see how that goes.

As I'm typing this, I'm also typing a blog entry for this exact issue, will be posted later this evening with more detailed info...

Richard Brust
ACT! Certified Consultant
richard@rbrDataSolutions.com
Copper Contributor

Thanks, Richard.  A clarification on the path to find those files: in Vista, the path is C:\users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\Act\Act for Windows 11\History Queue.  What could be more intuitive?  One day someone will explain to me why the brains at Microsoft hide all the things everyday users might need (like .pst files for backup...but don't get me started!)

So far the act.outlook.service.exe seems much better behaved.  Thanks for the explanation that the messages in the Progress tab are already attached.  That is not at all obvious...what's the point of keeping them there if they are done?  They should add a tab that is called "Attached" if they think we need to know.

I will update if things go awry again, but for now, it looks like its fixed.  Thanks!

I am having the same difficulties with ACT.OUTLOOK.SERVICE.exe eating memory.  However, I am on Windows XP.   Is there a similar fix?

Mike Woolsey

mwoolsey@kllm.com

Copper Contributor

I believe the initial instructions below will work for XP.
Copper Contributor

The service attaches emails properly to contacts unless I use a distribution list in Outlook.  I always have to manually follow the solution recommended in this thread every time send a "mass" email using an Outlook distribution list. 

I only wish to record email history when using the Act address book and not when I use the Outlook address book for out going email.  Is this possible?