Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT.OUTLOOK.Service Errors & HUGE memory usage

Copper Contributor

ACT.OUTLOOK.Service Errors & HUGE memory usage

I'm experiencing errors that I have pinpointed to ACT! attaching emails from Outlook. It seems that a number of them get caught in the C:\Documents and Settings\UUSER\Application Data\ACT\ACT for Windows 12\HistoryQueue\ folder. These are using a great deal of memory causing poor computer performance overall and I have 8 gigs of RAM.

This is a huge issue that I would like address. Please advise.

Here is the most recent error message in the HistoryQueue/error folder.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<outlookhistoryerror>
  <error type="LastError">
    <lastdatetime>3/17/2010 1:42:44 PM</lastdatetime>
    <firstdatetime>3/17/2010 1:42:44 PM</firstdatetime>
    <message>Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.</message>
  </error>
  <error type="System.NullReferenceException">
    <firstdatetime>3/17/2010 10:46:06 AM</firstdatetime>
    <lastdatetime>3/17/2010 1:02:43 PM</lastdatetime>
    <message>System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at Act.Outlook.Service.Desktop.EmailInfoHistoryHelper.RecordHistory(ActFramework framework, IEmailHistoryInfo historyInfo, IServiceProvider services)
   at Act.Outlook.Service.Desktop.HistoryRecorder.Record(IEmailHistoryInfo historyInfo)
   at Act.Outlook.Service.Shared.QueueManager.ProcessQueues()</message>
    <count>401</count>
  </error>
  <error type="Act.Framework.MetaData.SchemaLoadException">
    <firstdatetime>3/17/2010 1:03:48 PM</firstdatetime>
    <lastdatetime>3/17/2010 1:40:36 PM</lastdatetime>
    <message>Unable to retrieve schema metadata</message>
    <count>2</count>
  </error>
  <error type="Act.Data.LoaderException">
    <firstdatetime>3/17/2010 1:04:49 PM</firstdatetime>
    <lastdatetime>3/17/2010 1:42:44 PM</lastdatetime>
    <message>Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.</message>
    <count>59</count>
  </error>
</outlookhistoryerror>

Re: ACT.OUTLOOK.Service Errors & HUGE memory usage

I am having the same problem - continuously trying to attached.
Nickel Elite Contributor

Delete them.  See this blog post for details (especially the Not Attached Messages section), hope this helps...
Richard Brust
ACT! Certified Consultant
richard@rbrDataSolutions.com
Bronze Elite Contributor

Richard,

Good explanation. But Craig has a valid request. It needs to be sorted out. On a workstation it is troublesome, in a Terminal Server situation it has the potential to bring down the server. There are a number of issues around the design that need urgent reengineering.

1. On Terminal Server in particular, users doing a Quick Attach with all emails in the Inbox leads to a problem where there are no records in ACT! with the same email address. The result is RAM consumption as the process runs trying to place emails against records that don't exist or cannot be identified because the email address is not there or is different.

2.  There is no mechanism to resolve against common name. Sensibly if email can't be resolved then the next best criteria could be First Name + Last Name and prompt the user with " ACT! could not identify a contact to attach the email based on known email address, here is a list of records that correspond to First Name + Last Name, choose Attach or Delete".  Often email is received from somebody who may have 2 or 3 email addresses, if all of them are not in ACT! then it is by chance that the email gets attached. Seems to me that there needs to be an easy way to add/edit email addresses in records at the point of attachment, not rely solely on one identifying criteria.      

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

[ Edited ]

[Edit: Content removed. Please post courteously]

Act's Outlook addin has a serious stability and performance issue and I'm really unhappy.  The latest patch seems to have magnified the problems five fold.

If Act causes Gigs of failed messages, Act should provide a way of cleaning it up.

In my Messages, my successful log is 252bytes, my not handled messages 350k.

Message Edited by ghollister on 03-25-2010 05:28 PM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Usually if the service continually tries to attach a message, it means that it is for a reason other than one listed pre-handled list of exceptions. To see a list of these exceptions, browse to the Act for Windows (version#) folder where the Preferences and History Queue folders are located and open the ActHistoryErrorHandlers.xml file. For example, the handler for "contact not found" is NoContactsFoundException. The default is 1 attempt, then the message goes to the Holding folder, then gets removed after 1 day. If the reason the message is not attaching is not in this list (or the .xml file is missing altogether), then the service will continually try to attach the message since there is no handler for that error. A couple of common unhandled exceptions are that the message or attachments are too large or the email was sent to a distribution list (this one is actually a reported issue currently under investigation).

To find out what the reason or reasons these messages are not being attached, go into the Holding folder inside the History Queue folder and open any file called tmp###.xml.error. This will display the reason for the attach failure. If needed, you can add this reason to the exception list in the ActHistoryErrorHandlers.xml file. You will need to restart the Act.Outlook.Service.exe service after doing, and after deleting any items in the History Queue folder.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

I purchased ACT 2010 (ver 12.0) to update from ver 11.0 as I gathered there were many improvements in the program.  Overall the functionality of ACT 2010 is easier to navigateand when I was prompted to update to service pack 1 about a month ago and then proceeded with the upgrade I was expecting the program to show some signs of improvement over the original release.  What I found was a huge memory usage for act.outlook.service relating to attached messages while linking Outlook 2003 to ACT.  What I noted was that e mails that would have attached with the Quick Attach option in Outlook were not showing up in ACT history for the contact.  Further investigation showed that no contact history from Outlook was attaching but there was no indication of this problem when using the icons in Outlook to make the history attachments. 

I contacted tech support several times about the memory usage and finally found that there was a problem caused by the Service Pack 1 upgrade that caused this error and not attaching history from Outlook.  I had to revert back to the original version of ACT 2010 without the SP 1 upgrade and this took quite a bit of time with a tech support person removing all of the SP 1 upgrade files so ACT would function again as it did before the update.  I gather there is to be a SP 2 update sometime in the future that will resolve this issue along with other upgrades and fixes for ACT 2010 so I am patiently waiting for this to be released.

I am in Medical Sales and have used ACT since version 2.0 was released.
Copper Contributor

Same problem here with Win 7. 

In the Window Event viewer Application Logs I get an error every 20 or 30 seconds.  I erased all the old msg files but still constantly get the following:

System.Xml.XmlException: Unexpected end of file has occurred. The following elements are not closed: message, error, outlookhistoryerror. Line 23, position 22. at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e) at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(String res, String arg) at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Int32 pos, String res, String arg) at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ThrowUnclosedElements() at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseElementContent() at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read() at System.Xml.XsdValidatingReader.Read() at System.Xml.XmlLoader.LoadNode(Boolean skipOverWhitespace) at System.Xml.XmlLoader.LoadDocSequence(XmlDocument parentDoc) at System.Xml.XmlLoader.Load(XmlDocument doc, XmlReader reader, Boolean preserveWhitespace) at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load(XmlReader reader) at Act.Outlook.Service.Shared.QueueManager.ProcessError(Exception se, QueueStruct processFile, IEmailHistoryInfo emailHistoryInfo)

Greig,

I agree that ACT _SHOULD_ do as you say above but its a pure and simple fact that it just is not working like it should.

Here is my ActHistoryErrorHandlers.xml file:

<acthistoryerrorhandlers>
    <error type="System.Xml.Schema.XmlSchemaValidationException" removeafterattempts="1" removeafterdays="1" />
    <error type="System.Xml.Schema.XmlSchemaException" removeafterattempts="1" removeafterdays="1" />
    <error type="System.IO.FileNotFoundException" removeafterattempts="1" removeafterdays="1" />
    <error type="Act.Outlook.Service.Shared.AddressBookEntryNotFoundException" removeafterattempts="1" removeafterdays="1" />
    <error type="Act.Outlook.Service.Shared.NoContactsFoundException" removeafterattempts="1" removeafterdays="1" />
    <error type="Act.Framework.MissingDatabaseException" removeafterattempts="1" removeafterdays="1" />
    <error type="Act.Framework.SchemaVersionMismatchException" removeafterattempts="1" removeafterdays="1" />
    <error type="Act.Data.LoaderException" removeafterattempts="1" removeafterdays="1" />
    <error type="System.NullReferenceException" removeafterattempts="1" removeafterdays="1" />
    <error type="System.OutOfMemoryException" removeafterattempts="1" removeafterdays="1" />
    <error type="Act.Framework.SQLVersionException" removeafterattempts="1" removeafterdays="1" />
    <error type="Act.Framework.MetaData.SchemaLoadException" removeafterattempts="1" removeafterdays="1" />
    <error type="Act.Outlook.Service.Shared.UserRemovedFromQueueException" removeafterattempts="1" removeafterdays="1" />
</acthistoryerrorhandlers>

And these are the errors where all my emails are not being attached or deleted:

<outlookhistoryerror>
  <error type="LastError">
    <lastdatetime>26/05/2010 16:43:13</lastdatetime>
    <firstdatetime>26/05/2010 16:43:13</firstdatetime>
    <message>Contact was not found in the database.</message>
  </error>
  <error type="Act.Outlook.Service.Shared.NoContactsFoundException">
    <firstdatetime>26/05/2010 16:43:13</firstdatetime>
    <lastdatetime>26/05/2010 16:43:13</lastdatetime>
    <message>Contact was not found in the database.</message>
    <count>1</count>
  </error>
</outlookhistoryerror>

First of all this particular issue needs looking into because the performance issues and memory bloat it causes are ridiculous, and its clearly only started with the SP1 patch.

Second of all this functionality needs some cleaning up - like ignore lists and so on so it doesn't try to attach all internal mail and so on.

One notes with interest the Hotfix for SP1 that doesn't address this critical  problem at all.  More than 1Gb of memory used, crashes every day from the Outlook plugin, halving my battery life.  Par for the course???

Does anybody that represents the company listen to this forum at all?

The bugs in this need to be sorted - this fault is completely unacceptable.

This problem and its complete lack of attention from the vendor is alarming.