Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! Merges leave Winword.exe process running

ACT! Merges leave Winword.exe process running

ACT v17.1

Windows 7 64bit workstations

MS Office 2013 Home & Business Standard

I've just upgraded to ACT v17.1 and am noticing an issue when merging an Act template with Word. The merge works just fine but I'm now noticing that each time a merge is done, there is a leftover WINDORD.EXE process running in task manager. So by the end of a busy day I've got 20 - 30 WINWORD processes still running. These leftover processes are eating up memory and also causing some other error message related to Word's default template (Normal.dot).

A quick google of this problem leads me to what many say is a "poorly written word Addin". In other words the ACT! addin for Word. If i just open up word by itself and then close it, there are no leftover processes, but when word is accessed by ACT thats when it happens.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Any hints on preventing this?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Copper Contributor

Re: ACT! Merges leave Winword.exe process running

I saw that as yet no one has replied to your post but I am experiencing the same. Even worse, If I do not close Act and restart my PC on a regular basis my memory clogs up and my PC stalls. Very annoying so I hope Act can come up with some solution.

It's been almost a year since I dealt with this issue but I believe I found a solution for it - my notes say the following;

On the workstations, you need to edit the HKLM\Software\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Word\Addins\ActOffice2007Addin.connect key and change from 3 to 9 (for 64bit machines). For 32bit edit the HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\Word\Addins\ActOffice2007Addin.connect key.

Hope this helps!

Copper Contributor

Do you mean in the registry?

Yes, on each machine using ACT.

Copper Contributor

Thanks, I think it works!