Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! Link to Pocket PC - Duplicating Contacts?

Tuned Listener

ACT! Link to Pocket PC - Duplicating Contacts?

Hey there, has anyone experienced duplication of contacts using ACT! Link to the Pocket PC via Active Sync?  I had this working fine, however after doing maintenance on my computer (reinstall o/s), my contacts are being duplicated - every time I sync - so I now have 3 times everyone.  Using btw - WinXP service pack 3.

I have selected ACT! link to only go one way - which I would have thought meant 'overwrite' what was on the PPC - that did not work.  My only option here is to completely remove my current phone contact list and start fresh again (on the PPC). 

If you have come across this issue and have a work around, please advise...and using HH or DoubleLook/Companion link is not a solution in my opinion.

Thanks!

d

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT! Link to Pocket PC - Duplicating Contacts?

Have a look at this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/4sqb7o

This can also happen when ActiveSync in Windows doesn't recognise the device, which happens from time to time... it's why I always recommend Handheld Contact as a better solution

Tuned Listener

GLComputing wrote:

Have a look at this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/4sqb7o

This can also happen when ActiveSync in Windows doesn't recognise the device, which happens from time to time... it's why I always recommend Handheld Contact as a better solution

Yes, had found and read that article, unfortunately the problem persists. 

Personally, I don't think HHC is a viable solution.  I am unable to see the logic in purchasing third party software when ACT! provides a sync tool.  A more logical solution is for the ACT! Link application to overwrite my current data on the PPC as it states it would...in my case - it is not.  My situation may be isolated as I am unable to find any related posts, which leads me to beleive I may have a conflict somewhere on my sys.

If anyone else has come across this issue and has some input - would be great to hear about it.

You might try this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/4858te

HHC adds a lot of functionality - including:

• more ACT! info on the phone (note, history, up to 76 fields, pull-downs)
  • activities created on the device are attached to the correct contact
  • calls/emails from the device are recorded in ACT!'s history
  • ability to schedule for other users if you work in a team
  • wireless sync so you're always up-to-date
  • much more reliable

It's worth having a play with the trial

Tuned Listener

GLComputing wrote:

You might try this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/4858te

HHC adds a lot of functionality - including:

• more ACT! info on the phone (note, history, up to 76 fields, pull-downs)
  • activities created on the device are attached to the correct contact
  • calls/emails from the device are recorded in ACT!'s history
  • ability to schedule for other users if you work in a team
  • wireless sync so you're always up-to-date
  • much more reliable

It's worth having a play with the trial

Without a doubt HHC does do more than ACT! Link - however these features you have listed are simply fluff and not needed in my opinion (needs) and to pay over $200 per annum is ridicules as far as I am concerned.  As you are clearly a reseller for HHC, I can see why you are pushing it - unfortunately it takes away from the issue at hand here - there is a bug in the ACT! Link software and/or ActiveSync

So, for those of you who are interested in a solution that does not require purchasing a very expensive third party software product - an update on my troubleshooting - Over the past hour I have let the PPC stay connected to my computer - every time it syncs, it adds another set of contacts and activities.  Currently, my PPC has 7 duplicates of everything.  Very interesting to say the least.  I have checked and double checked to ensure the settings for ACT! Link are correct to 'overwrite' the PPC.  I have rebooted both systems and the adding to the contacts and activities is continuing.  In the end, the solution may be to simply reset my PPC and start from scratch - thankfully, this is not a huge deal.

zagged wrote:

Without a doubt HHC does do more than ACT! Link - however these features you have listed are simply fluff and not needed in my opinion (needs) and to pay over $200 per annum is ridicules as far as I am concerned.  As you are clearly a reseller for HHC, I can see why you are pushing it

Actually, I'm not a reseller - for ACT! or HHC. GL Computing consults to and trains resellers in ACT!. We do not sell anything to end-users.

One of the issues with ANY link software from a CRM solution to a PDA is that the PDAs do not link activities to contacts. This means that activities created on the device can't be properly attached on the CRM without a lot of manual work. For less that $1 per day, I find it's worth having HHC save me more than that in time and performance.

unfortunately it takes away from the issue at hand here - there is a bug in the ACT! Link software and/or ActiveSync

So, for those of you who are interested in a solution that does not require purchasing a very expensive third party software product - an update on my troubleshooting - Over the past hour I have let the PPC stay connected to my computer - every time it syncs, it adds another set of contacts and activities.  Currently, my PPC has 7 duplicates of everything.  Very interesting to say the least.  I have checked and double checked to ensure the settings for ACT! Link are correct to 'overwrite' the PPC.  I have rebooted both systems and the adding to the contacts and activities is continuing.  In the end, the solution may be to simply reset my PPC and start from scratch - thankfully, this is not a huge deal.

Yes, for some reason the ActiveSync is not deleting the contacts when you tell it to overwrite them. This can happen from time to time on the PPC requiring a reset of the device. A Google reveals this to be common with any application syncing via ActiveSync... another reason I prefer HHC.

My recomendations for HHC are not because I sell it, but simply because I have found it to be the most reliable solution and the users on it are happiest.

Tuned Listener

zagged wrote:

Hey there, has anyone experienced duplication of contacts using ACT! Link to the Pocket PC via Active Sync?  I had this working fine, however after doing maintenance on my computer (reinstall o/s), my contacts are being duplicated - every time I sync - so I now have 3 times everyone.  Using btw - WinXP service pack 3.

I have selected ACT! link to only go one way - which I would have thought meant 'overwrite' what was on the PPC - that did not work.  My only option here is to completely remove my current phone contact list and start fresh again (on the PPC). 

If you have come across this issue and have a work around, please advise...and using HH or DoubleLook/Companion link is not a solution in my opinion.

Thanks!

d

Solution....seems that the problem may have been with Windows M5 - I discussed these issues with my phone dealer and he swapped units with WM6 and it is working perfectly now.

zagged wrote:

Solution....seems that the problem may have been with Windows M5 - I discussed these issues with my phone dealer and he swapped units with WM6 and it is working perfectly now.

I don't think ACT!Link supports WM6 yet

Tuned Listener

GLComputing wrote:

zagged wrote:

I don't think ACT!Link supports WM6 yet

ACT! Link may not 'officially' support WM6 - however it works perfectly for me - unlike WM5.