Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! Knowledge Base Errors

Platinum Elite Contributor

ACT! Knowledge Base Errors

I have been trying to get some of the issues with the knowledge base (http://tinyurl.com/34xq94) fixed for a couple of years, but there hasn't been anyone who seems to be responsible.

Maybe someone here can find a resource to look into these:
  • The massive URLs that the new KB generates often get broken in emails, news groups and web based support forums. This makes it much harder to support ACT! in that it takes that bit longer for every support message to either generate a Tiny URL (as above) or to copy and paste Answer Ids with instructions on how to use them. Previously, it wass possible to create a short URL that linked directly to the KB article.
  • The default search finds ANY word in the search string... it would be vastly improved if the default search found ALL words like other web based searches
  • Since dropping the itDomino site, the KB hasn’t been updated to remove links using it from other KB articles – here’s a list of 40 KB articles with links to other articles that are broken in this way - http://tinyurl.com/246gts
  • A number of them refer to KB articles requiring a logon that even Sage Support Australian staff do not seem to have. Here’s an example of one... try the article linked from here - http://tinyurl.com/28lacw
  • The ACT! 2007 KB still doesn’t show many ACT! 2007 errors. You need to search for many of the errors in the ACT! 2006 area
  • The ACT! 2008 KB still has very little in the way of support – even less than in ACT! 2007
Nickel Super Contributor

Re: ACT! Knowledge Base Errors

Hi Mike,

Thank you for posting. I'm going to forward your issues with the kb on and see if we can have someone look into your issues.

Thanks Amanda... It would make it easier to do the support I do for our clients (most of whom are ACCs) if the KB worked like it used to :-)

Hopefully the links I posted would give some of the quick points that could be easily updated

I can't comment directly about knowledge base errors, but I've emailed technical support and no one seems to be home. I have serious and costly problems with ACT and all anyone will tell me is I have a corrupted database (and that was Companion Link, not ACT) and I need to spend some hours fixing it. Why should I have to do this? I spent the HOURS putting in hundreds of contacts in order to be productive, not correct ACT's errors. To date I have heard NOTHING from ACT. Their "knowledge base" support is a joke and any other support doesn't exist. I'm looking for a different contact management solution.

Maybe if you posted the actual error to the ACT! forum of this site, someone might be able to help you?

But databases from every product can become corrupt... but ACT! dbs can usually be repaired if this happens. But it's always good to do regular backups
Copper Contributor

When you know the KB article number you can use this url to directly jump to that article, change the number to your KB number:

which is a lot shorter then this:

It will also open the KB in a nicer screen.
Thanks,
Inge van Gemert
ACT! Certified Consultant
The Netherlands
inge@inkey.net

It's nice to see Amanda's response, but I must say that for me, Mike Lazarus (and a handful of other users)
virtually IS Act's tech support. He posts so many helpful responses here that I feel a special "thank you, Mike" is in order.
IMO, you represent the best of forum participation.

Thanks wocius.... one day I'll figure out how to make money from the support I do :-)