Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! Installed in Multiple Folders

ACT! Installed in Multiple Folders

Although I've not YET upgraded to the latest version of Act!, I've been using it since version 2.0. Nevertheless, in my attempt to prepare for the purchase and installation of the latest version by Sage, I've found two of Act! Folders are installed in two locations on my HD -- C:\ACT!2007, and C:\Program Files\ACT. 

Just to be certain -- it is obvious the older version(s) were installed in the Program files folder, with my current version being used, is installed in C:\ACT!2007. To help reduce confusion, is it safe to manually delete the ACT! folders found in C:\Program Files\ACT?

The databases created by ACT!2007 (v9.0) are stored on another internal HD -- ?:\ACT!\ACT for Windows v9\Databases. Tools>Preferences>General Tab confirm their location. All the databases for V9.0 were converted from the previous version of ACT!

Any suggestions? 

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: ACT! Installed in Multiple Folders

The folder 'C:\Act!2007' sounds like a folder created when downloading the Act! installation files (opposed to install with a disc).  You would have had to change the default installation path during the installation for it to go anywhere other than 'C:\program files\act\act for windows'. 

When you open the 'C:\Act!2007' folder, what files/folders do you find?  Is there a folder named either Standard or Premium - and if you open that folder do you find further folders (ex: Act Link, bin, Dependencies) and files (ex: autoplay, autorun, setup.exe)?

If this is what you find in the 'C:\Act!2007' folder, then it is from the downloaded installation files.  Without seeing the installation personally and unless you are running out of harddrive space and desparate for space, I would recommend leaving the folders as they are.  They should only be using about 300mb.

Greg Martin
Sage

Thanks for your response.

Yes, under folder "C:\Act!2007" the immediate sub-folder is Standard, with other folders including ACTSTD (with sub-folders), Bin, and Dependencies (with SQLQFE sub-folders). Files include -- Autoplay.exe, Autorun.inf, Setup.exe, and Setup.ini.

Thanks for your advise. Since I have a lot of HD space, I'll just leave them where they are.

However, when I download the upgrade (the latest version of Act!), will that installation conflict these files? Or will the downloaded upgrade-version create a new identifying folder called "Act!2010", or similar?

Platinum Super Contributor

New versions of Act! won't have any conflicts with the folder(s).  And you are correct, the new version (using a download) will create a folder called Act!2010. 

Greg Martin
Sage