Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! Import Problem

ACT! Import Problem

I am importing data into my ACT database using an excel spreadsheet.  I have enabled duplicate checking using a field I created named Relationship_Name.  When I import the records the salutation, first name, and last name fields are all ERASED.  Any ideas why this is happening? 

Re: ACT! Import Problem

UPDATE to the previous post.  I have updated all of my software including the "Fixes".  I have also had some developers with some skills look at this with no problem resolution.  Any ideas?  I have found ACT! to get buggier with each release.  Does anyone recommend an alternate CRM that can handling importing more seemlessly?

Bronze Contributor

Hi Brad and welcome to the ACT community.

It sounds like you are having a problem with the first name and last name.  While there are posts about the column labels, I've never had a problem by converting the FN and LN into a CONTACT column.  The advice on FN and LN is that those fields are system fields, and while they can accept imports, the column heading has to be EXACTLY correct.  

This solution is a couple extra steps, but has removed the naming convention headaches for imports for me.

Hope this helps.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB, Win 10 Pro, & Office 365, 32bit
Copper Elite Contributor

what other criteria are you using for dupe checking?  Is it just your new field?  I would suggest adding a second criteria to it.  That may solve this for you.

Mark Hammer
ACT! Fanatic
Copper Elite Contributor

Hi Brad,

you may also want to consider some Addons, there are a bunch of tools that make life easyer importing data, specaly for recurring tasks, or for dupechecking, there is one that we offer

ACC since 1995
Developer of Addons for ACT

CrmAddon Factory
+1 203 541 0040

A couple of more specifics:

I am not attempting to import the Contact, First Name, Last Name, or Salutation.

What is strange is that if I elect to "Merge Fields" the data import works perfectly.

If I elect "Replace Field" the fields import correctly however the FIrst Name, Last Name, and Salutation are erased.

Any thoughts?