Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! Impact Suite CHANGES TO REMOTE DATABASE

Copper Contributor

ACT! Impact Suite CHANGES TO REMOTE DATABASE

ACT! Premium 18.0.501.0

I am attempting to create custom tables in act that show "NOTES" as a parent table and "HISTORY" as a child table. The only way I seem to be able to do so is in creating custom tables to create this relation (as opposed to starting with a "NOTES" table and adding a "HISTORY" table and attempting to create the parent/child relationship).

So in attempting to create the custom table:

TOOLS

IMPACT SUITE (7.1.0.6 Durkin Computing)

TABLES

CUSTOM TABLES SECTION - "CREATE BLANK"

NAME TABLE

SAVE

Which leads to the below warning:

ACT isse.png

Any and all help would be appreciated as now I am stuck as to where to go from here. Thanks!

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT! Impact Suite CHANGES TO REMOTE DATABASE

It sounds like you're trying to create a custom table that's not subordinate to the Contact, Company, Group or Opportunity table. If so, that can't be done. Custom tables must be subordinate to one or more of the four parent tables in the ACT! database. This is dictated by the ACT! database design.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Then I'm confused.

How do I get a notes table that also shows the history of those notes (i.e. date created, etc.). Do I have to start with "CONTACT" and create a parent relationship with that to a "NOTE" and "HISTORY" table?

Bronze Super Contributor

You can not make changes to a remote database. You must add the new custom table to the master database.

Install Impact Suite on a PC which is connected to the master database on the network (LAN) From this local PC you will be logging into the master database. Once logged into the master database you will be able to follow the same steps to create a custom tables. The next time you sync your remote database to the master, ACT will bring down the new custom table.

BTW- By default all custom tables created with Impact Suite are child tables (subordinate) 

Hope this helps

-- Jim Durkin

Copper Contributor

It did help me understand a bit more, thank you!

In regards to this information, if I am working in Impact Reports on an existing report that already has a "NOTE" table, how do I create a relationship between this table and a new "HISTORY" table?

Platinum Elite Contributor

If you are trying to modify one of the existing reports supplied with the Impact report designer you need to check if the to see if the report was created with the Wizard. If so the SQL query is fixed at create time and can;t be modified. If by relationship you mean establishing a Join between the History table and the Notes table, there really isn't any way to do that directly. You would need to do that via a database parent table.

With all due respect I don't know your background but a basic knowledge of SQL queries is needed to make full use of the Impact reports.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Bronze Super Contributor

What information are you looking to be on the report?

Both the History table and the Notes table are child tables to the top level entities ( i.e contacts, companies, groups or opportunities) )

There is no way to relate notes into histories or histories into notes.

Are you looking for a report by contact which includes both notes and histories?

-- Jim Durkin

Copper Contributor

I'm trying to basically have a report for all contacts that shows the notes and the history of the notes (i.e. create date, report manager, etc.).

So:

Contacts -> Notes -> History

HOWEVER, I'd like to have them sort by date instead of contact or anything else.

Can I open a previous report in impact reports (Notes by date range), which already has a "NOTES" table, create a parent table and add the history table?

Thank you