Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT Groups

ACT Groups

Please help - I am a new user to ACT, but my business requires me to reach expert status very quickly.  I am creating contact groups, but am having the hardest time getting the right criteria. 

I don't have full comprehension of the 'Operator' terminology and the use of And/Or. 

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.  Or if there is a book I should have as a reference guide - right now I have ACT! User's Guide and ACT! 2007 for Dummies - neither one has very specific information regarding this topic.

Thank you!

Theresa

Bronze Contributor

Re: ACT Groups

Theresa I would recommend that if you want a good book purchase a copy of the ACT quickstudy guide which was written by Susan Clarke a great educator from Houston.

The explanation of the and means both criteria must match and or means one or the other

i.e. Blue and Black = Only entries with blue and black in the field match

Blue or Black = Entries with either blue or Black in the field will match

Hope this helps

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.
Platinum Elite Contributor

This gets a bit deep but it does give explanation of the terms and methods of setting up the logic in an advanced query.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boolean_logic

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Thanks Paul -

Here's my dilemna - In my group - I want everyone in the State of TN - so I have that as my initial search - I'll send you my search criteria in a seperate email.  I tried changing the 'and' to 'or' on the ID/Status search, but then it brought up everything with that not just the TN w/ add'l criteria contacts. 

Again, thank you for your assistance.

Sincerely,

Theresa

Bronze Contributor

Sometime in these types of searches it is the order of the search that matter. I would move the ID status one up the top and try putting the state down the bottom as an AND option and this should then exclude any records that are not in the State of TN. BTW I would not have contains TN but rather = TN as this is then specific.

Hope this helps

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.