Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT Freezes on Group/Companies

ACT Freezes on Group/Companies

I have ACT 2016     ACT pro v18  running on Windows 10.

Every time I click on Group/Companies the program freezes.    I have to go to the task manager to close the program.  Does anyone have an idea why?

Thanks,  Al

Re: ACT Freezes on Group/Companies

[ Edited ]

Hi ahjous,

Does Act provide an error message: IE 'Act has stopped working / Act has encountered an error'? if it does not I believe a window maybe showing off screen and preventing you from interacting with Act.

I would recommend trying these steps: KB 36800 - Act! is open but is not being displayed - While the article is for the Act window it will work for any other windows open at the time.

Hi! Dan,

Even if I turn on the computer and the first and only program open is ACT, once I click on Groups/Companies the program freezes.  I cannot click on anything else.  I have to use Control, Alt Delete to get task manager.

If I load ACT on another computer it works.  I cannot get it top work on my main computer.   Al

Where you able to try the article I provided as it could be that a window is off the screen.

This article provides a slightly different way of preforming the steps: KB 36800 - Act! is open but is not being displayed

I just tried again.  If I open ACT, I can do the ALT key and space bar and move the window.  I can go to Groups/Companies, but when I click on 

Add/Remove groups it freezes.  If I try the Alt & space bar nothing happens.  Still freezes.

Does this happen with any other windows in Act or do they appear correctly? Also did you happen to have another screen plugged in to this machine at another point?

Before jumping to uninstalling Act and reinstalling, it maybe worth trying to reset the preferences to see if it helps - KB 14770 - How to rebuild the Act! Preferences file

I am afraid to reset the preferences.  I don't know what it changes.  Will the customized fields set up in the ACT I use change?

Fields are held inside of your database and will not be changed when resetting User preferences.

While I will always recommend taking a Backup of your database from 'File > Backup' the changes should only be to any custom columns or actions that you may have been added to the interface.

Great!  I made a back up and will try now.

I followed the steps, rebooted the computer and now ACT won't open at all.  Shall I try and uninstall and re-install?