Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT Email Client:Troubleshooting Outgoing mail server

ACT Email Client:Troubleshooting Outgoing mail server

I use ACT 2008 as my mail client.  At home it works great (ISP Speakeasy) but at a second location (ISP Bell South)I can receive mail but cannot send mail.  The error message reads "cannot connect with "my mail server name".  My iPhone allows me to set the server port and I can still send mail even on the second locations wireless network. Could it be a server port issue? Or another posibility is my Norton antivirus software?  I use it on outoging emails at home and it is fine. 

Does anyone know the default outgoing server port?  The ISP for my website/email is using server port 366 for outgoing email.  Is there anyway to set the outgoing server port? 

Or could it be something else?  Any help would be appreciated.    

Re: ACT Email Client:Troubleshooting Outgoing mail server

Robert,

Most ISP email servers will not allow you use with outgoing mail server unless you're on their connection.  I personnel use Bellsouth as my email and I cannot send emails use their server while on a Charter ISP.

You'll have to find a public outgoing mail server or use Bellsouth's mail server while on that connection.

Bronze Contributor

As another workaround, you can go the the ISP website and see if you can get their smtp name (search on setting up outlook).  If I just know the name of the system I'm using, then I just guess for a .com or a .net.  I then create a new Internet mailbox and show the outgoing mail to be smtp.ISP_name.net/com.  If you use a username and password to get your eMail, you will just check the box to use the same credentials as receiving.

This is beneficial for me as I return to the same hotels and once I have them set up, I just utilize it moving forward.

Hope this helps and I didn't muddy the waters further.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013

Thank you both.  I am not sure I understand completely.  Does this mean that all I need to do to get my emails out using a different ISP than I use at home is setup a second "internet email" account using the SMTP for the Non-Home ISP (in this case Bellsouth)? 

If this is true why didn't I need to do this for my Speakeasy account at home?  Nor did I need to do it at a number of hotels that I have stayed at? I will try to do that next time. 

Thanks again 

No, you don't need to have a separate email account.  While on the Bellsouth ISP, you'll need to use either mail.bellsouth.net (requires login) or an outgoing mail server that doesn't require you to be on their connection to send like Gmail.

Gmail is an awesome free email provider.  What you can do is create a free Gmail account and enable pop3.  Then you can setup Gmail as your outgoing mail server.

Follow this Google document on how to enable and configure your mail account.  Remember, you'll only need outgoing mail settings.

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=13273