Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT Database Moved but not working

ACT Database Moved but not working

[ Edited ]

Hi all,

I have built a new server to host the act database amongst other things. I have followed the instructions using ACTDiag and detaching the database. Moved it all accross and renamed the.PAD file. Opened the ADF file in ACT on the server which did the check and recreated the PAD file. All good can open the file no problem on the server. However when I try to open the file on the clients it states that

The Database "Name" could not be accessed blah blah blah.

So I tried the other method of backing up the DB from ACT and doing a restore as. Same problem. Opens fine on the server but not the clients.  have checked the rights on all files and folders and made sure everyone has full control over it. Still it wont let me in!

Can anyone shed any light on this please Smiley Happy

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT Database Moved but not working

1. Are they using the same PAD file? The PAD can be copied to other locations and still work
2. For other possible solutions (eg permissions and firewalls), see this ACT! Knowledge Base article -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19640

Hi the PAD was  re created by opening the ADF file on the new server.

I have run through the entire document you suggested but still it doesnt work.

Assuming the workstations are definitely using the new PAD, the fix will always be one of those items... check it again.

If you've added updates or patches to the workstations, have you applied them to the new install?

Yep I have checked the versions both ends and they match. Also the PAD file has been checked and it is certainly the correct one. Im at a bit of a loss really!

Then you need to go through that KB article slowly and test each option for (shared database)

Windows Domain, Windows 2008 Servers.

All Sorted! None of the KB articles helped as far as I could see. For some reason ACT does not like being in a folder with a space in the name! Changed the folder to a single word and all good!

Hadn't seen that one before ...

I just looked - the default is in "ACT Data" under "Public Documents" - both with spaces. The app is in "Act for Windows"

So might have been something else odd?

Personally, I never use spaces in folder names ... especially databases. I store in in D:\ACTData