Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT Backup Zip File Missing Attachment Contents

Tuned Listener

ACT Backup Zip File Missing Attachment Contents

Hi,

We have an approx. 5GB ACT database containing 2500 contacts with 14K attachments in history.  Using the ACT scheduler, we run a nightly backup job and a weekly DB maintenance job.  The backup zip files are approx. 4GB.  This configuration had worked for a couple of years.  We have been running ACT 2008 without a problem since May of this year.  For the last two nights, the size of our backup zip file has dropped to approx. 12MB.  When I explore the zip file, I can see the folder structure including the attachments files.  But, the files can not be opened, copied, etc.  It is like the zip file index was created, but the files themselves are not contained in the zip file.  I can explorer older backups and open the attachments with no problems.  The live database looks fine.  All the contacts seem to be intact with their history attachments.

The event viewer reports no errors.  The ACT scheduler reports no errors.  I have enough free disk space to create the backup.  The backup is running in the same amount of time (1.5 hours). 

I am currently running a manual backup (not using the ACT scheduler)

Has anyone run into the issue? Does anyone have advice that might help correct this problem?

Thanks,

Tom.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT Backup Zip File Missing Attachment Contents

1. I cannot see how you would have a 5GB ACT! database with only 2500 contacts.

The backup does have a limit of 4GB... but there maybe other things making it so large.

Under the Database folder, see the database name Supplemental Files folder for these:

How big is the database Attachments folder?

Is there anything in the database Backups folder?

Tuned Listener

Hi,

The bulk of the 5GB comes from the 14K history attachments in the attachment folder.  The SQL ADF file is only 141MB.  The 4GB MS SQL server limit is not being reached.  Does ACT! have a limit on the size or number of attachments it can manage?

In the backup zip file,the database backup folder has BAK file entries for the contact DB, master DB, and model DB, as well as a RESTORE_PAD file.  However, the backup zip file seems to be corrupt.  For example, I can not copy the .bak files from the zip file to my desktop.  It is as if the zip file index structure was created, but the files were not included in the zip file.

A manual backup (not from the ACT scheduler) also failed to create a good zip file.  My next step is to reboot the server.

Tom.

Delete any files in the Backups folder. These are failed backups, but actually get included in future backups and increase the size.

The database, as you say, is only 141MB... this includes history, but not attachments.

ACT! doesn't have a set limit on the attachments folder, but ZIP (that they use for backups) has a 4GB limit. ACT! 2009 has the ability to exclude Attachments from the backups and you can do them seperately.

Tuned Listener

It appears that it is a 4GB zip file limit issue.  I took our last good zip backup and tried to add another file to it and it gave me the error "The compression cannot be performed because the size of the resulting Compressed (zipped) Folder is too large".  So, I must figure out how to manually backup the ACT! folder structure.  I was thinking on something link this:

Stop the SQL Agent

Stop the SQL Server

Use XCOPY to backup the folder 

Start the SQL Agent

Start the SQL Server

Does this sound like it will work?  How would I restore?  I could not use the ACT! restore feature any more.

Thanks for your help,

Tom.

Deleting the files in the Backup folder might make it smaller for you.

Create an ACT10Backup.bat file in Notepad as follows:

REM - Change the SET Paramaters as appropriate for your system
SET ACTSourceFolder="C:\Act\Database"
SET ACTDestinationFolder="D:\Backups\Act\Database"
SET XcopyOptions=/M /E /C /H /O /Y /I
REM
REM - Stop ACT Service
NET STOP SQLAGENT$ACT7
NET STOP MSSQL$ACT7
REM
REM - Perform copy
XCOPY %ACTSourceFolder% %ACTDestinationFolder% %XcopyOptions%
REM
REM - Restart ACT Service
NET START MSSQL$ACT7
NET START SQLAGENT$ACT7
END

With the SQL engine stopped, you can use anything to copy/backup the database and supplemental files. You could replace the XCOPY with a command line ZIP or other back-up utility.

Then run the BAT file from the Windows scheduler

To restore, you just copy the files back, delete the PAD file, then in ACT! - File | Open | Change file type to ADF and open it. It will check the database, attach it to SQL and re-create the PAD

Have you checked the available space in the default temp, and tmp directories?    be sure there is enough space in these user and system directories, this is where ACT writes to when performing backups.  

Also try resetting your scheduler, stop the service and then restart it, also reboot the server as a secondary measure.

I run both, the ACT task scheduler and a corporate tape backup, this picks up any supplemental files created by ACT!  

Let me know if this works, good luck

Dean Von

I.T. Manager / Mortgage Company