Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT Address Book service is not properly configured - error on opening Outlook

ACT Address Book service is not properly configured - error on opening Outlook

I have about 15 workstations, 3 of which are laptops.  The error only seems to occur with laptops which are shut down and undocked, thus disconnected from the network.  I have been living with it, but thought I would ask if anyone has found a resolution.  This occurs when starting up Outlook.  The error message is:

"The ACT! Address Book service is not properly configured, or the configured database is locked.  Do you want to configure it now?"

The solution is to either ignore, or to re-add the ACT address book in Outlook each time the message appears.  We are using ACT! 2011 and Office 2007.

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: ACT Address Book service is not properly configured - error on opening Outlook

Since you mention that the computers affected are laptops, this can occur when the Outlook Address Book is attempting to access a shared database (on a server) and the connection to the server is lost/broken. 

Is the message presented when the laptops are connected to the network?

If the laptops have remote databases on them, you can change the Outlook Address Book to reference the remote database instead of a database on a server.

If you are not using remotes databases but would like more information on creating them, review this article: KB Article 14116

Greg Martin
Sage
Tuned Listener

Re: ACT Address Book service is not properly configured - error on opening Outlook

We are getting the same problem.  We are running ACT Premium 2012 and Outlook 10.  Laptops get asked if they want to configure the database when starting Outlook.  When saying "yes" and choosing "Add" the database on the server is listed, and  the user is just required to enter their password.  Today it happened even though I connected to the server and logged into ACT before opening Outlook to verify that I was already connected to the server.  We are not, and do not want to run remote databases, as we have had issues with them in the past.

Kadon Hodson
Technology Officer
TCK - The Trust Company of Kansas
khodson@tckansas.com

We're seeing this issue as well.  Initially I was assuming it was a user permissions issue, but that doesn't appear to be the case now -- it's looking perhaps more like something isn't happy and times out when the laptop takes some time to connect to the wireless network on startup.  Have you had any luck with yours?

[ Edited ]

We are having the same problem with ten brand new Windows 7 desktops with Outlook 2010 and 2012 premium.We have had to follow the process of launching ACT first and after startup launching Outlook. This message will appear. If we answer no the Addons will not install. If we answer yes the database is listed and check marked. If we do not do anything but check the close box, most times Outlook will launch with the Addons correctly there.

This appears whether the PC's are wireless or ethernet. In some situations Outlook is locking up and we have to close and reopen.

Tuned Listener

[ Edited ]

jlaux42,

My assumption was a slow network connection, as well.  However, I did see it happen at least once even when I know I was connected to the network and the server before starting Outlook.  At this point, my solution has just been to tell everyone who is having the problem to go ahead and reset it whenever it asks and they don't seem to have a problem with that. 

As of late, I have been attempting to make sure I sign in to ACT before opening Outlook and I haven't had the error pop up, so far.  I cannot say that is a definite solution yet, though, because I do not feel I've been  testing it long enough.  It is something to try, though.

Kadon Hodson
Technology Officer
TCK - The Trust Company of Kansas
khodson@tckansas.com

My company has been having this problem for almost 2 years on our laptops.  We were operating wirelessly at first, but we are now wired in, and still have the problem.

We just got a new server, and I was half hoping the problem would disappear, but no such luck.

We are running ACT 2011 Premium and Outlook 10.

My boss is my dad and he is daily upset that I cannot resolve this issue.  I have tried everything in the book on the knowledge base :  Knowledge Base

Copper Contributor

Did you find a resolution?