Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT - A 3 year tale of Tears & Frustration.

Tuned Listener

ACT - A 3 year tale of Tears & Frustration.

After making the decision to go it alone and set up my own business amongst the many decisions i made was to purchase a database/contact  management software & subsequently purchased Act 6 (£199 ...........After spending several hours (& I am being generous here) importing data, becoming familiar with its operations etc  then discovered that I needed to purchase an additional piece of Software called ACT Link for Pocket PC (another £49)_ as this was not included although ACT Link for Palm OS was included ( a now  familiar tacticby the people at ACT .... I should have heeded the warnings then.
Initially i had no complaints I was able to sync with my PDA send multiple faxes to groups etc via WinFax Pro...... Then as a result of upgraidng my Office Software to Office 2003 I was informed by ACT of the need to upgrade To ACT 7(£99) as a result I lost the ability to sync with my PDA now running WM5 and was advised by ACT of the need to purchase Companion LInk (£45) in order to use this facility in addition I also lost the fax facility with WinFax Pro....... & again was advised to purchase the ASDS (£49) fax compatability software.

After refusing to renew the support package due to what i believed was shoddy advice & hand washing regarding compatability issues I was offered a free upgrade to ACT 8 if i renewed the support package (why do I not listen to those little voices telling me to run) .
To be fair i had no compatability issues although several occurences of corrupt data i.e phone numbers changing to US format instead of UK & Templates disapearing etc.

Earlier this year needing a new Office PC & now aquiring a laptop for my now employed Wifes use all supplied with Vista I was again advised of the need to  upgrade to ACT 10(£99) only to find that you can not sync with WM6 devices (try buying a PDA with WM5 now)and the fax facility has gone completely ....... in addition want to use ACT 10 across a wireless network .....Forget it

In all I have found ACT to be unbelievably labour intensive to use & maintain .... I appreciate that software compatability are not always within the control of ACT but we are talking about fundamental basics here i.e Windows operating sysytems, Windows Mobile syncing Office suite compatability & now wireless networking.

Therefore i am consigning the  ACT to the bin and am now in the market for a new contact management suit ...... Any ideas anyone?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT - A 3 year tale of Tears & Frustration.

PaulM wrote:
After making the decision to go it alone and set up my own business amongst the many decisions i made was to purchase a database/contact  management software & subsequently purchased Act 6 (£199 ...........After spending several hours (& I am being generous here) importing data, becoming familiar with its operations etc  then discovered that I needed to purchase an additional piece of Software called ACT Link for Pocket PC (another £49)_ as this was not included although ACT Link for Palm OS was included ( a now  familiar tacticby the people at ACT .... I should have heeded the warnings then.

Pretty sure the ACT!Link of PPC was also included with ACT! 6.0 as per http://tinyurl.com/29dzq3

Initially i had no complaints I was able to sync with my PDA send multiple faxes to groups etc via WinFax Pro...... Then as a result of upgraidng my Office Software to Office 2003 I was informed by ACT of the need to upgrade To ACT 7(£99) as a result I lost the ability to sync with my PDA now running WM5 and was advised by ACT of the need to purchase Companion LInk (£45) in order to use this facility in addition I also lost the fax facility with WinFax Pro....... & again was advised to purchase the ASDS (£49) fax compatability software.

ACT! 6.0 would alos work with Office 2003 - http://tinyurl.com/28sawn

To be fair i had no compatability issues although several occurences of corrupt data i.e phone numbers changing to US format instead of UK & Templates disapearing etc.

This sounds like a database setup issue

Earlier this year needing a new Office PC & now aquiring a laptop for my now employed Wifes use all supplied with Vista I was again advised of the need to  upgrade to ACT 10(£99) only to find that you can not sync with WM6 devices (try buying a PDA with WM5 now)and the fax facility has gone completely ....... in addition want to use ACT 10 across a wireless network .....Forget it

Well, this time you're correct. My personal preference is Handheld Contact. which works well with WM5 and WM6.... CompanionLink (which you've used before) would also work.