Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 7 won't start

ACT 7 won't start

Hello:

When I click on ACT on my desktop, it does not start. I have not changed the location of the program or any thing else about it.

I had a problem a few months ago where the program opened but the database did not. A gentleman in this forum instructed me to go to "services.msc" and turn the SQL Server (ACT7) to "automatic".

I did so and it  worked fine till yesterday when I had to restart the compuiter for ACT to open when I click on the shortcut.

I am looking at the SQL Server(ACT7) now:

"Status": " Started"

"Startup Type":" Automatic"

Even though it says "Started" which makes my Outlook to run, I can not open the program itself.

This is a local system, stand alone computer.

I use:

ACT 2011 pro

Outlook 2010

Win 7 ultimate 64bit, in a Dell Vostro computer.

Thanks for your thoughts/

actuser100

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT 7 won't start

Hello actuser100,
What happens when you open ACT!? Is there an error message? If you open your Windows Task Manager and look under the Processes tab, is the "ActSage.exe" process running?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Thanks Greig:

I restarted my computer last night because I needed the ACT. I just looked at the task manager, following your suggestion, and the "ACTsage.exe" was running. I of course because I had restarted my computer to open the ACT.

I think next time ACT does not open, I will look at the task manager  to check.

This has happened 2 time in a row. So i am sure when i close the ACT tonight to do back ups, I won't be able to open it tomorrow. 

Let's say "ACTsage.exe" wasn't running. What recourse would I have short of reinstalling the software and having to redo the design layout? Which is a big waste of time.

Thanks again for your answer.

actuser1000

Platinum Elite Contributor

These are two different situations. If the ActSage.exe process is already running, then clicking the ACT! icon wil not open the program, as that process can only run once. This would indicate that something is preventing the ActSage.exe process from terminating properly. See this Knowledgebase article for more information:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2751...

If it's not opening and the process is not running, then this either be program damage or another application, most commonly a firewall or antivirus is blocking it - try disabling your security software. If you need to uninstall and reinstall ACT!, this will not affect your database or custom templates and layouts. Just uninstall it from the Control Panel, reboot and reinstall.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Thanks again Greig.

I think I will have to revisit this problem when I close ACT tonight for back up. And I will look at the solutions you proposed.

I really appreciate your help. Thank you.

actuser100