Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 7 Unable to Access Database

ACT 7 Unable to Access Database

[ Edited ]

I have a brand new Dell PC.  I loaded the Act 7 software (from CD), I downloaded the updates (7.0.4.82) from the internet and when I try to open our database (on a shared drive that is being used by 3 other PC's), it tells me that it is 'unable to access database'.  I can see the database files from the new PC, I just can't open them.  Is there a setting on the new PC that I don't know about?  The other PCs connect so the problem is obviously (?) with the new PC.  Any help you can give me is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Tom

Message Edited by tmillis on 12-08-2009 10:01 AM
Bronze Super Contributor

Re: ACT 7 Unable to Access Database

It sounds like you are running in a peer-to-peer scenario...?  (i.e. - no 'server')

One thing to check is firewall settings on the PC that is hosting the Act! database.

Also make sure that the new PC has rights to read/write on the host PC (w/o a server, you will likely need to create a user account on the host that has the same name and password as what you use to login to the new Dell...)

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT 7 Unable to Access Database

Hello tmillis,

You may also want to check the solutions offered in KB 19640 as well. Also, keep in mind that if your new machine is using Vista or Windows 7 as the operating system, then ACT! 2005 (7.0) is not supported on either. And, I don't believe that MSDE (SQL 2000), which is what ACT! 2005 uses, will work properly on those operating systems either.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.