Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 7 - Open database - SQL Query

ACT 7 - Open database - SQL Query

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to open ACT7 database (which comes as a demo database with Trial version ACT7) in SQL 2005 Managment Studio and SQL Query Analyzer (2000). I ma unable to do so.

Can someone help me with steps to open ACt DB?

Also, do you have any idea on how to access ACt database which resides on some other server using a SQL tool?

Thanks.

Re: ACT 7 - Open database - SQL Query

You will need to purchase the SA Password tool in order to log into the database from SQL Management Studio.  What exactly are you trying to do?

I am trying to write some SQL scripts to move data from ACT7 database to SQL Server 2005 database.

I have installed Act trial version and I am trying to open the demo database using SQL Studio so as to get the data from contacts and group tables.

Finally, my purpose is to access a ACt7 database on a server which is exposed to internet.

Also, Is the SA password tool which you mentioned in response to my thread is theonly way to access ACt db in studio?

Thanks,

Sapna

If you only need to read the data you can use the ACT! Reader utility, but it requires the Premium version of ACT!.  With the ACT Reader account, it will allow you to access the database using SQL Management Studio with read only access to the database.

You can get additional information on te ACT! Reader Utility from the KB article below.  At the bottom of the KB article there is a download for the utility and an administrators guide.

How To Create An ODBC Connection For Use With The ACT! Reader Utility

I asume that the ODBC article and the reader utility will be applicable to

ACT product with below details

Database Product Version: 8.00.818
Schema Version: 08.01.0113.0000

Only if its Premium.  You can check by going to Help > About ACT!.

Ok. Thanks.

What I understand of this is: if I have my ACT database server (Premium) running on a remote machine hosted on internet then I will be able to connect to the database using ODBC connection.

After making the connection, I can go ahead make up a website (ASP,ASP.Net,etc) / a tool, that can fetch the data from remote server using this ODBC connection.

Please confirm my understanding.

Another issue that I am facing is I downloaded the ACT Premium Trial version by Sage and next i followed the steps mentioned in the article on link 'How to create an ODBC connec...' mentioned in one of the previous response. 

(I am trying to use the steps in article to connect to ACT database on my local version so that I can try it later on my remote version)

I gave server name as local\ACT7 with db username and password which I use while opening the database in ACT tool.

But hard luck there, itgives an error

COnnection failed

SQlState : '08001'

SQl Server Errror :-1

Error locating server/instance specified....etc

Can you hint me on what is going wrong while making the ODB connection?

Let me know if it is because I have a trial version on my machine.

Thank You.

Small update - now I am able to create ODBC connection. I was typing in the ACt database password instead of ACTreader password.

Just confirm my understanding mentioned in my previous post.

Thanks!