Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! 6 to ACT! 2012 record manager in notes

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

ACT! 6 to ACT! 2012 record manager in notes

Hello everyone,

I recently upgraded from ACT! 6 and am trying to see if there is a way to accomplish this. When I did the inital ACT!6 database import all of the notes in the notes field had the record manager assigned to the user I used to do the initial import. So that makes sense to me, no existing user is there so it couldn't match. I've read similar posts about creating the users first then doing the import so the record managers will match up, but I'm not quite clear how to do this. I've noticed that opening an ACT!6 database for the first time performs a conversion and brings in things like notes, but if you have an existing ACT! 2012 database and try to simply import from the old ACT! 6 .dbf files the notes don't import at all. I assume because the notes aren't in the main ACT!6 .dbf file and are linked in one of the other files.

So how can I get the record managers to be tied not only to the records they created initally in ACT!6, but more importantly linked to their notes, per entry, they entered. It's confusing to a user to see a note saying, "I contacted so and so" but we don't know who that user was because it auto-assigned the record manager to the persons login who did the initial import.

I think I'm out of breath now...sorry if this is confusing.

Thanks for your help,

Ed

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by gmartin (Platinum Super Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: ACT! 6 to ACT! 2012 record manager in notes

[ Edited ]

Hello,

Well I have some good news - I finally got the conversion to work! Creating an empty database and importing using ACT6 didn't quite work because it didn't retain my users (makes sense though), which meant none of the record managers matched up in the notes. I did try creating an empty database and manually re-creating the users and importing, but that didn't work either.

What did work is in the original ACT6 database, working off a backup of course, I told it to remove obsolete data older than 1 day for all of the settings listed (notes, histories, etc...). This way I sort of had an empty database BUT retained my users. I then imported from a backup of that exact database prior to removing obsolete data, then imported that database (without doing any ACTDiag or reindexing at all) into ACT2012 - and that worked. All contacts, users, notes, etc...came over, and most importantly ALL of my contacts and notes had the correct record managers which was my ultimate goal.

So Greg, thanks for steering me in the right direction! I just needed to get that ACT6 database to cooperate before it would convert properly!

Thanks again,

Ed

View solution in original post

All Replies
Copper Contributor

First of all I've run Actdiag and made sure everything checks out.

But I've discovered something. If I export the ACT6! database and open that new into ACT!2012 so it will convert, I get all of my notes but with only with the record manager attached to everything from the user I'm doing the conversion with. It doesn't import my users, which is why my record managers for notes don't link up.

IF I don't export the ACT!6 database and just open it direct from ACT!2012 and let it convert it brings in all of my users (which it didn't do before) and assigns all of my record managers PERFECTLY, even for each note - but then for some unknown reason I only get notes that seem to be for the past 2 years - nothing earlier. Is there a setting in ACT!2012 I can set before I convert the database that exists that purges data over x amount of time or something? I'm SO close on getting this thing converted I just need my old notes and record managers to be correct. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ed

Platinum Super Contributor

Have you run maintenance on the database in V6, before attempting to convert?  It sounds like there is an issue with the Notes/History preventing them from converting. 

Here is an article with instructions for running maintenance in V6: KB Article 11462

You will want to specifically run 'Check and Repair'.  Run it 3 times (3) and see if all red checks are removed from results.  If red checks remain after 3 runs, it is generally an indication that this maintenance program cannot fix it and you may need assistance in repairing the database.  Assistance in repairing V6 databases can be obtained from ACT! Certified Conultants (ACC), here is a link to locate an ACC should you need one: Find an ACC

After running the maintenance 3 time, attempt to convert the database to 2012. 

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hello,

Yes I've run ActDIAG on V6 first. It did have 2 red flags, one regarding email and one was indeed on the histories/notes, but after only one pass it claims it was fixed ( I ran it twice). I also had it rebuild the indexes from within ACT6. It's almost like the repair process causes only x amount of notes to import (I say last two years because that's the only note dates I see, but depending on how the dates import it simply could be attempting to import from newer dates first then just skipping on because of an unseen error).

Let's say I import contact data only and build my users from scratch in ACT2012 - is there a way I can separately import the notes afterwards?

Thanks for the tip on the ACC's. I was hoping I could get this fixed but it might be a bit beyond what I can do. If any ACC's are reading this post this database only has about 4300 contacts in ACT6 trying to convert to ACT2012, so feel free to send me a quote via PM or if you have any questions. I might be reaching that point!

Thanks,

Ed 

I can't think of a reliable way to get the information tied back together after converting into 2012... but here's another option to try.

In V6: create an empty copy of your database > then import the original database into the empty copy > check Notes to ensure they are included. Convert the new copy of the database to 2012.

The rewriting of the data into the new V6 database may be able to correct the issue.
Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

Hello,

That's an excellent suggestion I haven't tried yet. I'll post back after some testing.

Thanks,

Ed

Solution
Accepted by gmartin (Platinum Super Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hello,

Well I have some good news - I finally got the conversion to work! Creating an empty database and importing using ACT6 didn't quite work because it didn't retain my users (makes sense though), which meant none of the record managers matched up in the notes. I did try creating an empty database and manually re-creating the users and importing, but that didn't work either.

What did work is in the original ACT6 database, working off a backup of course, I told it to remove obsolete data older than 1 day for all of the settings listed (notes, histories, etc...). This way I sort of had an empty database BUT retained my users. I then imported from a backup of that exact database prior to removing obsolete data, then imported that database (without doing any ACTDiag or reindexing at all) into ACT2012 - and that worked. All contacts, users, notes, etc...came over, and most importantly ALL of my contacts and notes had the correct record managers which was my ultimate goal.

So Greg, thanks for steering me in the right direction! I just needed to get that ACT6 database to cooperate before it would convert properly!

Thanks again,

Ed

Glad to hear you got it to convert correctly and I'm impressed with your ingenuity!

Thanks for posting your process and results.
Greg Martin
Sage