Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 6 program suddenly won't open

ACT 6 program suddenly won't open

I've been using Act 6 on my Windows Vista maching with no problems for the last 5 years but suddenly I can't get the progeam to open. A message box pops up that says "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available" but of course no solution is ever offered. I can't get farther than that as the program never opens. I've uninstalled Act and reinstalled it several times to no avail. Anyone have any ideas what is causing this and how to fix it?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT 6 program suddenly won't open

That sounds like a damaged database. If you haven't already, use ACTDiag to reset the Last database/Default datbase and then see if the ACT! program will open without a database. If it opens then try opening the ACTDemo database. If that opens then you have a damaged database. If you have a recent backup, try restoring that with a different name and see if that will open. Otherwise your choice would be having the database repaired. Several ACCs offer ACT! 6 database repair (including Techbenders).

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

[ Edited ]

Update: I found the page to reset the ActDiag to the Default/Last Datebase and I checked that box and when I restarted Act I still had the same problem. I went back into the ActDiag and the box wes unchecked. I must be doing something wrong where the box is not staying checked but I can't figure out why.

Thanks Roy but I tried working with the ActDiag before I posted here although I don't know how to use it to reset the last or default database. Can you explain how to do this please?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Way back ( I'm talking over 10 years ago) there was a conflict with an antivirus program that would cause the ACT! program to fail launch. Could be the same type of thing but there would be no information what the conflict might be. Basically, at this point you're on your own with ACT! 6. You should consider upgrading to ACT! 16.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

At $269 no thanks. I'm going to look for a database that willimport from Act and go with that instead. Do you know of any?

I remember with Vista you had to right click ActDiag and run as admin to get anything to stick.