Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 4 - ACT 5/6 for XP

ACT 4 - ACT 5/6 for XP

We have been happily using ACT4.0 (3 users) for more than 10 years and are being forced to upgrade since it won't install on Windows 7. Either we need to figure out how to get it to work on Windows 7 (64 bit) machines or we need to upgrade.

I downloaded ACT 2013 after a short conversation with them, but it can't import notes which are essential to our contact database.

I noticed that ACT6.0 could be installed on Windows 7 and I was able to download a trial version and import my Act4 database. I will need to make some customizations but it appears to be otherwise OK.

So I would like very much to purchase 3 user license of ACT6.0.

Is this actually possible?

If not, are there work arounds?

SDB

Artwork

steve@artwork.com

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT 4 - ACT 5/6 for XP

Mike,

I am not sure why you say that it can import the notes - I started up ACT2013 and immediately went to the data import section and it clearly states that you can't directly open the database from older versions (i.e. 4,5,6) and must use CSV or text. [This makes sense since the old ACT is based on dbase and the newer ACTs are based on SQL.]

The it states that CSV or text import can't bring in the notes.

I actually read your page prior to posting here ... in fact this is where I got the idea to download the trial version of ACT 6.0. I was able to install ACT6.0 and was able to open my ACT4.0 db and actually see the notes for each of my contacts.

email me directly and let me know what at 6 user ACT 6.0 would cost.

[Another consultant has pointed out that ACT6.0 was never tested on Windows 7 and that it might not be reliable. He inidicated that it might work "for a while" That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I run a whole lot of software on Windows 7 that was never tested on it. Normally, if it installs and starts up, it is just fine.]

Steve DB

Artwork Conversion

steve@artwork.com

Because you don't "import" ... you convert the original database. There is no need to go via CSV

OK, I will attack the problem again tomorrow morning using the "convert" instead of import. I'll let you know if this works. Don't know why the ACT 2013 is not very good about helping one move from older versions to the current one.

Copper Contributor

you can buy old versions of act on amazon and ebay, with varying degrees of legitamacy no doubt.