Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 22 network sharing problem, please help!

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

ACT 22 network sharing problem, please help!

Currently migrating the office (server plus 5 users) from Act 11 on Windows 7 to Act 22 on Windows 10.

Up and running on the server just fine.

On the user computers, it lets me try to log in, then complains that the database files folder isn't shared.

Now, the whole thing is in the public documents folder on the server, and the public documents is shared. But I notice that the database files folder had been shared again on its own before. So I set it to be shared on the new one as well, but it still doesn't work. I've confirmed that I have full read/write access to it from the other computer, I can open it in file explorer and create new files in there, etc. But Act still thinks it's not shared.

I know Windows folder sharing had gotten odd in the past several years. It seems like there's at least two ways to set a folder to shared? When I do it one way, Windows tells me the folder cannot be shared, but when I do it another way, it works fine.

I'm out of ideas, going to move on to other installations for now, but I need to get this running ASAP. I hope somebody out there can help!

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ray Kremer
‎12-27-2020 07:22 PM
Copper Contributor

Re: ACT 22 network sharing problem, please help!

Ray,

Did you log into ACT on the server and go to Tools/Maintenance and share the database again?  I know sometimes when you upgrade a database it turns off the sharing.

Lanny

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ray Kremer
‎12-27-2020 07:22 PM
Copper Contributor

Ray,

Did you log into ACT on the server and go to Tools/Maintenance and share the database again?  I know sometimes when you upgrade a database it turns off the sharing.

Lanny

Copper Contributor

Lanny,

Oddly enough, out of curiosity I just looked at my last post here from six years ago, and I described the exact same issue after moving from WinXP computers to Win 7, and the solution turned out to be what you just said.

I really should have just looked in my account history to begin with.

Too late at night to bother with it right now, I'll do it tomorrow, but if I don't reply again let's just assume it was that simple. Thanks!