Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 21 Premium mail merge creates emails with unwanted winmail.dat attachment

Accepted Solution Solved
Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

ACT 21 Premium mail merge creates emails with unwanted winmail.dat attachment

I'm doing a Trial of ACT 21 Premium (desktop version).  I've been using ACT 18, and would like to upgrade.  I'm using Windows 10.

I just installed Outlook 2013 as a test after the ACT Internet Mail client didn't work successfully (I spent much of the afternoon on the phone with ACT tech support in India on that issue, and they couldn't fix it - it crashed every time).

I then installed Outlook 2013.  I can now send emails from an ACT mail merge, but if they are received on a non Outlook client like Thunderbird, they are received with a winmail.dat attachment.  I followed Microsoft's recommended solutions for remedying this, which included resetting the mail options to HTML or Plain Text (I tried both options), and the winmail.dat attachment is still included when sending a mail merge from ACT after making these changes.  The address book in Outlook is not ACT's address book.  I checked that, because that is also noted as a potential cause of this problem.

When I send an email directly from Outlook, they are received on Thunderbird without the winmail.dat attachment, so this seems to have something to do with the coordination between ACT and Outlook.

Has anyone had this problem, and have you developed a solution?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Solution
Accepted by topic author AlanD
‎11-20-2018 05:33 PM
Copper Contributor

Re: ACT 21 Premium mail merge creates emails with unwanted winmail.dat attachment

Believe it or not, I found a solution to the problem on the internet (and I tried many others today).

This worked!

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/stop-outlook-sending-winmail-dat-file-email-attachment

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Solution
Accepted by topic author AlanD
‎11-20-2018 05:33 PM
Copper Contributor

Re: ACT 21 Premium mail merge creates emails with unwanted winmail.dat attachment

Believe it or not, I found a solution to the problem on the internet (and I tried many others today).

This worked!

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/stop-outlook-sending-winmail-dat-file-email-attachment