Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2020 & Windows 7 - install problem

Avid Listener

ACT 2020 & Windows 7 - install problem

I bought a new laptop over the weekend with Windows 7 and am having problems installing the program.  The install gets to the point of 'Deploying and attaching the SQL Express/Demo Database' and throws the following error message.  Any help would be appreciated, even though I know Windows 7 is not an officially supported platform yet.

"SQL did not install successfully.  Please review the Installation Guide, the product requirements, and then retry the installation.  If the problem continues, contact ACT! Service & Support. "

I have tried the installation, after removing the program, multiple times, including running as administrator.   Same message each time.

Thanks 

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: ACT 2020 & Windows 7 - install problem

Red Rock,

If your ACT! media is the DVD, please try coping the DVD content to a scratch location on the hard drive and try installing from there.  Could be a media read issue, I have seen this before.

thanks

Matthew McFadden
Avid Listener

Thanks for the reply.

The file is a download, which I copied to a thumb drive & then copied to the new hard drive. 

Nickel Elite Contributor

If possible, can you run the setup from the actual download location?

I think that your download package may be corrupt.

thanks

Matthew McFadden
Avid Listener

I re-downloaded the program & am getting the same error message.  Any other ideas?

BTW, brand new computer with no other programs on it yet.

Nickel Elite Contributor

Red Rock,

I know that this is a hassle, but if you would, please review ACT! Knowledgebase article 24366:

How to Install the Microsoft® SQL Server® 2005 (Express Edition) ACT7 Instance.

This way, we can try to isolate what the exact issue is here.  Once the ACT7 SQL instance is created, you should be able to then install ACT!.

Thanks

Matthew McFadden
Avid Listener

No luck with that effort.  I spent 4-5 hours with tech support today, including escalation, and they couldn't get it working.  Said they were going to have to throw it back to development team, which includes you.  Suggested that it might not be fixed until 2011 update.

Not sure if it matters, but my new computer is 64-bit Windows Home Premium. 

Thanks for your help. 

Nickel Elite Contributor

Hi RedRock,

Sorry for this hassle.  Were you ever able to successfully install the SQL Express component of this product?

If not, do you know if you have actually activated the Windows 7 license against the Microsoft site?  If you right click on "My Computer" and select Properties, down towards the bottom, you should see the state of Windows activation.

Thanks, please let me know.

Matthew McFadden
Avid Listener

Windows is showing activated.

I think the SQL Express was installed successfully, as she did this as an independent first step before installing ACT.  Everything looked good during installation, including getting the ACT 2010 shell running.  However, we just couldn't get the ACT7 instance running thru Services