09-12-2013 01:04 PM - edited 09-12-2013 01:06 PM
I ran a standard Check & Repair on the database today at the end of work and it failed. I am using:
ACT Pro 2013 15.0.x installed on SBS 2011 Essentials and accessed via two clients (one Win 7 32bit and one Win 7 64bit).
I then tried to run actdiag on the host server. Each time I tried to list the databases it crashed.
I then searched and found the KB re SingleUserModeError_KB31714 which I ran.
This switches the database to 'Master' but then states the changes cannot be made because the database it in single user mode and a user is still connected. MSG 5069, Level 16, State 1, Server xxx, Line 1. ALTER DATABASE statement failed.
I have downloaded and installed SP1 on the server and clients: same problem.
Since ACTDIAG crashes every time what can I do?
I do hope someone can help because ACT! had caused me more headaches than any other piece of software I have ever used, and I have lost literally weeks of time trouble-shooting it over the years.
09-12-2013 01:35 PM - edited 09-12-2013 01:38 PM
When ACTDIAG crashes- describe please - did you get a error message?
Also please state complete version of both of your ACT!2013 ( Help / About )..
On both pc's - Manually Check for Windows Updates - Also check the optional area - Apply updates if needed.
09-13-2013 04:19 AM
Thank you for taking the trouble to respond.
This has been fixed by having a 2 hour remote session renaming, rebuilding etc the database. It is an SQL issue that can apparently just happen. The tech support person was very helpful and patient.
What really annoys me is that Swiftpage expects clients to pay £175+VAT for the privilege of fixing a problem with ACT!. This is nothing to do with user error. There is no way that a client could do this unaided. You even have to pay more with more client licences, even though the problem is on one database.
If you have ACT! you need to have cover too because in my experience it is not a question of if the software will fail, but when and how often.
09-13-2013 04:33 AM
Glad you got it resolved.
I know what you mean but sometimes it's not directly ACT!'s fault.
You have two different operating systems and sometimes Windows Updates can clober SQL or some part of your pc that makes ACT! not work properly. In your case. I'm not sure I would have tried switching databases using the method you used?
I think I would have backed up my ACT! database and then used the File / Restore Database / Restore as option.
Then create a new remote db.
Seems like your method should have worked but for whatever reason it did not.But hopefully now you are good to go and all will be fine. Have a most excellent day. Cheers - FSBill
09-13-2013 05:33 AM - edited 09-13-2013 05:35 AM
I know what you mean. I had a backup from midday yesterday (the server backs up twice a day) but I suspected that it must have the same error identified by the Check & Repair, so did not opt for restoring it initially. It would also have lost all the data entered in the afternoon.
What I have noticed is that the server backups have started failing in the last few days. The problem was the Volume Shadow Copy Service, and stopping the SQL Writer VSS service enabled the backup to succeed manually, The only SQL database running is ACT!. So it looks to me (but I am no expert...) that the problem is an SQL one and I suspect related to the ACT instance. Now that ACT is running it will be interesting to see if I still get the backup problems. Getting help for this from MS on Technet is not proving fruitful!
I do appreciate your help. Have a great day too
09-13-2013 06:21 AM
09-13-2013 07:39 AM
Thanks but I think the problem with this is that it is not incremental and generates a zip >4Gb and thus fails. I did try this some time ago.
Before moving to SBS I used Retropect with a script that stopped the SQL service before the backup and started it after. That worked.
Interestingly the automated server backup has just worked so I shall see if this continues. If it does the error does look like the ACT SQL instance.
Over the years though I have had all sorts of problems normally when upgrading and related to SQL which is why I am now very reluctant to upgrade. Upgrades usually need fixes and they also break third party add-ons, so you have to upgrade them too. I am happy to upgrade if functionality is improved, but not to pay for bug fixes. The accounts integration has also moved backwards, not forwards, by shifting from being contact to company-based.