Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT!2013 Smart Task and Index was outside the bounds of the Array issue

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

ACT!2013 Smart Task and Index was outside the bounds of the Array issue

[ Edited ]

When I installed ACT!2013, new smart tasks stopped running and I started getting a message at startup that the "Index was outside the bounds of the array"

Could the two be related?

I test the offline smart task server connection and that comes back as good.

The tasks are set to autorun. I had this working in the beta version, but smart tasks started failing when I installed the new real 2013 version.

I have spent hours trying to figure out the "Index was outside the bounds of the array" issue, but I am lost. Any ideas on how to fix this. I have tried the database check and repair. I have updated Microsoft NET framework 4 (programs shows "Client profile" and "Extended" installed.)

I also deleted all the SQL entries under control panel/ programs. Then uninstalled ACT! and reinstalled ACT! which reinstalled SQL. I am still getting the same  "Index was outside the bounds of the array" message when booting up ACT!.

If I go into ACTdiag and try to run the SQLdiag snapshot or SQLdiag monitor I get a message that the sqldiag.exe cannot be found. Maybe that helps you help me? Smiley Happy

Thanks for any tips.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author frostfamily4
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Super Contributor

Re: ACT!2013 Smart Task and Index was outside the bounds of the Array issue

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your ideas. See below each of my responses below in red for the questions you posed.

Things to help isolate:
- If you create a new Smart Task, will it run?

No.
- Test with demo database, do Smart Tasks run?

Works as expected in demo on same machine.
- If you restore a backup onto a different machine, will they run?

Restored backup on same machine so far and hasn't made any difference. Still doesn't work. There is a new error I've noticed when viewing the status of smart tasks that have been triggered. There is an object reference error when trying to cancel "in progress" smart tasks in the status list.  To me this would suggest that the Smart Tasks SQL tables have corrupt data in them or some such problem or bad referenced data, perhaps from the user record it was generated from. I also noticed that manually run smart tasks show up in the status window but the task, e.g... Schedule an activity does not appear under the contact. These test smart tasks can, however, be cancelled OK. > see attachment 1 related to this answer.
- If multiple user database, will they run for other users?

Yes. I created a new user which seem to run fine for the logged in new user, however seeing I had it enabled for the previous admin user and this new user it ran twice. Interestingly the 2 instances of the activity created were now visible, however in the status window the "in progress" task linked to the problematic user didn't update to completed when I cleared the tasks and it can't be cancelled either. The same Object reference error is shown. > see attachment 1 related to this answer.

So from the above apparently they have corrupt user records in the database. Resolution would be to re-create these users having issues and delete and reassign there records to the replacement user?

After doing the above in a copy of their database I noticed the smart task log was cleared of all of the smart tasks this user triggered. So does this mean they will lose any "in progress" or history of other smart tasks because they are not re-assigned when the user is deleted also? Might be worth suggesting to the development team to ensure Smart Tasks are reassigned to the selected user when deleting their user record from ACT! and reassigned records to another user.

Are you saying that they won't run at all, even manually initiated, or just the 'auto-run' won't run?

Nothing will run. But from the above we now know why. Corrupt users.

Sorry to waffle on, but I thought it would be useful to show my reasoning and process to diagnose and fix in future.

Also, it would be nice to know what could have caused this to occur in the first place so as to avoid it with my other clients using smart tasks....? If possible.

I will update if anything else important pops up whilst conducting this fix.

Kind regards,

Matthew Wild
Act! Certified Consultant

Act Today Pty Ltd | 0755 712 344 | 0434048190 | matthew@acttoday.com.au | www.acttoday.com.au
Gold Coast

View solution in original post

All Replies
Copper Super Contributor

I have a client who is having the same problem. Smart Tasks are no longer auto running. Tried new smart tasks, disabling auto-run on existing smart tasks that were there in V14 prior to upgrading to V15. They have applied the Service Pack 1 for V15 and no change.

Offline enabled or disabled still doesn't work.

All firewall exceptions are in there according to the ACT! KB.

Tried rebooting the services and the whole server.

ACT! Premium for Web V15.1.108.0

Windows Server 2008 R2 (64bit)

Please is there any other possible fixes? My client is very frustrated with this as they had many smart tasks running and rely heavily on them.

Kind regards,

Matthew Wild

Act Today Pty Ltd | 0755 712 344 | 0434048190 | matthew@acttoday.com.au | www.acttoday.com.au
Gold Coast
Platinum Super Contributor

Things to help isolate:

Are you saying that they won't run at all, even manually initiated, or just the 'auto-run' won't run?
Greg Martin
Sage
Solution
Accepted by topic author frostfamily4
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Super Contributor

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your ideas. See below each of my responses below in red for the questions you posed.

Things to help isolate:

No.

Restored backup on same machine so far and hasn't made any difference. Still doesn't work. There is a new error I've noticed when viewing the status of smart tasks that have been triggered. There is an object reference error when trying to cancel "in progress" smart tasks in the status list.  To me this would suggest that the Smart Tasks SQL tables have corrupt data in them or some such problem or bad referenced data, perhaps from the user record it was generated from. I also noticed that manually run smart tasks show up in the status window but the task, e.g... Schedule an activity does not appear under the contact. These test smart tasks can, however, be cancelled OK. > see attachment 1 related to this answer.

Yes. I created a new user which seem to run fine for the logged in new user, however seeing I had it enabled for the previous admin user and this new user it ran twice. Interestingly the 2 instances of the activity created were now visible, however in the status window the "in progress" task linked to the problematic user didn't update to completed when I cleared the tasks and it can't be cancelled either. The same Object reference error is shown. > see attachment 1 related to this answer.

So from the above apparently they have corrupt user records in the database. Resolution would be to re-create these users having issues and delete and reassign there records to the replacement user?

After doing the above in a copy of their database I noticed the smart task log was cleared of all of the smart tasks this user triggered. So does this mean they will lose any "in progress" or history of other smart tasks because they are not re-assigned when the user is deleted also? Might be worth suggesting to the development team to ensure Smart Tasks are reassigned to the selected user when deleting their user record from ACT! and reassigned records to another user.

Sorry to waffle on, but I thought it would be useful to show my reasoning and process to diagnose and fix in future.

Also, it would be nice to know what could have caused this to occur in the first place so as to avoid it with my other clients using smart tasks....? If possible.

Kind regards,

Matthew Wild

Gold Coast
Platinum Super Contributor

Matthew,
Thank you for the update and detailed information, I'm sure it will be helpful to others experiencing similar issues!
Greg Martin
Sage

"sage act 2013 index was outside the bounds of the array"

I have been banging my head against a brick wall with this for months.

Act support were going down the lines of “Roaming Profile” issues or “Windows problems”

Just deleting the user and re adding sorted it right out and a few other glitches as well!!

ATGC wrote:

Hi Greg,

Things to help isolate:

No.

Copper Contributor

Mathew, you are awesome! This fixed it for me too.
Will
Avid Listener

"Just deleting the user and re adding sorted it right out and a few other glitches as well!"

Do you mean delete the windows user or delete the user in Act?

I have this exact problem affecting one user and it happened right after a server upgrade.

Copper Super Contributor

I am suggesting to delete only the ACT! user experiencing the error. Use with caution as deleting users cannot be undone. Also, when deleting a user, ACT! will prompt you to delete all records they created or to assign to another user. I would recommend creating a new replacement user first and choosing the reassign the deleted users records to them. This preserves all notes, history etc that they created. However, the smart tasks that are active are deleted for that user.
Kind regards,

Matthew Wild

Gold Coast