Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! 2013 Pro + SP1 on Outlook 2013 - no 'Custom Action' for Rules

Bronze Contributor

ACT! 2013 Pro + SP1 on Outlook 2013 - no 'Custom Action' for Rules

As I always do, I began to setup the Rule to attach incoming emails in Outlook 2013 and got to the 2nd dialog box in Outlook and there was no option to 'Perform Custom Action' (whereby the Custom Action is 'Auto-Attach..."  I searched that issue and it's been reported in Outlook 2013.  This is not ACT!'s fault.  Anyone else see this or know a workaround?

Signature
Bronze Super Contributor

Re: ACT! 2013 Pro + SP1 on Outlook 2013 - no 'Custom Action' for Rules

We don't setup to auto attach incoming emails as it creates a VERY large history.

On the rare occasions we do, we do it the way you've described, using an outlook rule.

if Outlook 2013 doesn't allow that, then I'd suggest using either a no-dollar-cost option of simply replying to the email saying "thanks for that Bob". By replying to it, we get the email attached to the contact history.

Or I'd use the it'll-cost-something option of using 123 Sync (love this product).

Ben.

We are looking to upgrade to Outlook 2013 but rely heavily on the Act Auto Attach Custom in Action. Was this an issue that has since been addressing Outlook? I am having trouble finding any additional reference to this issue besides this one posting as well. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thomas Chapman

Hi, I have the same issue here, where we upgraded to office 2013 and discovered the missing option in creating a rule which means incoming mail can no longer attach.

Has anyone found a work around which doesn't incolve server software or auto replying emails?

Copper Super Contributor

Just joining this coversation as i would like to know if/when there is a solution for this.

Robert Hupston
Act! Certified Consultant
Web: http://softext.co.uk
Email: rob@softext.co.uk
Tel: 0121 323 2304

We recently researched this when updating office computers and software. We ended up going with Outlook 2010 for this specific reason. To my knowledge there has not been a work around for 2013. Best bet is to go with Outlook 2010 if possible.

Astute Commentator

There is a work round for this, but it is not pretty.  Create a folder under inbox called "To be attached to Act!". Create a rule that checks incoming mail, and if the sender is in the Act! address book put a copy of the incoming mail in that folder.  When you have a minute, pop into that folder, highlight everything and use the Quick Attach option on the Act add-in toolbar to attach to Act! contact history as used to be done automatically by the custom action. Then delete the copies. It sucks, I know, but it's better than not having received emails added.

Astute Commentator

Just to expand on this, the reason I upgraded to Outlook 2013 and lost the custom action option was because Outlook 2010 support for IMAP mailboxes was pathetically bad, as noted by hundreds of users. IMAP support in 2013 is much better, although it is still apparently not possible to show unread counts in IMAP sub folders, only in the main inbox, so if you route mail using rules on your mail server that push stuff into IMAP folders before Outlook syncs folders, you won't get unread counts until you select the folder in Outlook. I can just about put up with that.  There are much better mail clients, but unfortunately I need the Act! add-in which is only available for Outlook. Unless anyone knows differently??

Copper Super Contributor

This issue is getting deeper and deeper. Every single upgrade and new sale I have done in the past three months that have needed Office 2013 integration has given me grief on this issue. Whilst I agree that using auto attach increases history volume it is essential to fully maintain email threads. One sided conversations are useless.

Swiftpage appear to be of little help here as the only comment I can find in the Knowledgebase is 36788. And it simply states...

"Depending on your version of Microsoft Outlook 2013, the Perform a custom action option may not be applicable. RTM (Release to Manufacturing) versions of Outlook are known to have this problem." The only thing I can see about RTM versions is that they are pre-production.

Interestingly, Microsoft specify that... "Some third parties offer add-ins that enable custom actions, such as automatically printing new email messages. Microsoft doesn’t provide these add-ins. They are written by third-party developers as dynamic-link library (.dll) files that must be installed on the computer that is running Outlook."

We know the custom action is there - it works with Outlook 2010 - so is Microsoft handling the DLL read differently with 2013? Is this something that Swiftpage can address?

Brett Merriman
ACT! Certified Consultant
Action CRM
Copper Contributor

Aaaargh.....!

Just when I thought I'd got ACT! and office installation down to a fine art...

Outlook 2013 via an Office 365 subscription worked fine on the PCs I installed last month.

Unfortunately the one I've done today won't give me the option of a custom action to log incoming emails (as described above), which is a rather vital part of our process for 35 users. Having to pay $50 for another add-on for that number of users is not on. At least I have the option of installing Office 2010 from 365. Unfortunatley the action of uninstalling 2013 and installing 2010 appears to have caused other strange problems, so it look like I'll have to restore the pc to factory settings and start again. There's a day wasted.....

I'll look forward to any news on a resolution though.

Roland

Roland Horwood
Frame Design
TJ Crump Oakwrights Ltd
www.oakwrights.co.uk