Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2013 - Activity Types, What is the difference between Meeting and Appointment?

Astute Commentator

ACT 2013 - Activity Types, What is the difference between Meeting and Appointment?

Hi Act Community.

I am new to ACT and want to start off using it correctly, so i have a quick question. I did look through the HELP file and even googled, but haven't found much info on this so wanted to ask it here.

In ACT there are toolbar menu quick buttons for new MEETING, TODO, CALL.  If you click any one of them it takes you to the new activity screen at which point you can dropdown and change it to any of the other options.  My question is what is the difference between MEETING and APPOINTMENT ?   Personally they seem almost identical? but to me in my business i am meeting clients and i consider it an appointment. A meeting is something i would consider with a vendor of mine.  So my question is this, why is 'new Appointment nowhere to be found other than in the dropdown of Acitvity.  I wanted to make it a quick menu option, but you cannot, it isn't listed in the customize menu option. The other activity types are, but not Appointment. Even in the New (little arrow to the right) to choose which new you want... doesn't show appointment. You have to choose something else first then change once you get into the created activity?

Is this an oversight or be design?  thoughts?

I will be syncing with my outlook calendar, is there a difference in the way it handles 'meetings' vs 'appointments' ?

Thanks. 

ACT-ActivityType.jpg

Copper Super Contributor

Re: ACT 2013 - Activity Types, What is the difference between Meeting and Appointment?

I use meetings for product providers and business development guys, while appointmetns are for clients

I think its just a personal choice

Jason Dawson Financial Planning
Brisbane | Australia - JDFP Home Page

Act Ver - Act! Premium Version 17.1.169.0, Hot Fix 3
OS - Windows 7 (stand alone machine)
MS Office - Enterprise 2007
Phone - Samsung Galaxy s6
Astute Commentator

Re: ACT 2013 - Activity Types, What is the difference between Meeting and Appointment?

I just fiddled for a while and there is a difference between meeting and appointments when it comes to outlook...  so yes i agree i will be using appointments as originally thought.. but my original question stands, why is 'create appointment' not available as a shortcut. the only way to really get to it is schedule meeting, then change dropdown. Not major, just inconvenient.

Platinum Super Contributor

Background for 'Appointment': The traditional Sage ACT! type is 'meeting'. The traditional Outlook type is 'appointment'. When the ACT!/Outlook sync feature was introduced, 'Appointment' was added to ACT! to account for the Outlook 'appointment' type.

ACT! functions/reports/etc. are built around the 'meeting' type.
Greg Martin
Sage
Astute Commentator

Greg, thank you. Is there a reason why the Appointment Type isn't on any drop down or menu or one that you can customize to the menu? It seems like as more people integrate with outlook, it is the appointment 'type' that is used more, so if possible it would be nice to add 'appointment' to the shortcut dropdown, etc... instead of having to hit meeting, and then change it to appointment everytime.

if all the other types are there in the dropdown menu, it seems like appointment should be there as well.

Thanks.

Rob

Platinum Elite Contributor

Rob,
It's not one of the standard ACT! activity types, You can create an Appointment outside of Outlook sync as it is an an available activity type. Where else are you seeing the Appointment is not an available menu option?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Astute Commentator

[ Edited ]

From the toolbar (SCHEDULE) it is not listed... and from the 'NEW' little arrow to the right, it is not listed.

the only way to get to it is to use another button (meeting/call/todo), and then switch it once in the activiy screen.

It is just more of an inconvenience. I would like to be able to add the Appointment up to the top but since it isn't there it isn't available in the customize menu.

Act-NoApptinmenu-2.jpg

Act-NoApptinmenu.jpg

Copper Elite Contributor

Interesting, I've never noticed Appointments before! It even has it's own icon on the Activities tab. Thanks for raising the discussion.