Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2012 won't import into one of my databases, but not others

Copper Contributor

ACT 2012 won't import into one of my databases, but not others

I often import data into my database.  It is no longer working.

I can import into a different database, but not into the one I want.

I tried an Excel Workbook, a CSV file, and a PAD file.  There are no blank contact names.  I also reduced the import file to contain only 78 contacts.

I read many threads in this newsgroup, but no solutions worked for me.

Any ideas?

TIA,

Sage ACT! Premium 2012 Version 14.1.108.0, Hot Fix 5

Win 7 Pro SP1 x64

Outlook 2010 x32 v14

Durkin Impact Business Suite V4.2

exponenciel Automatic Field Calculations v8.5

Company Wizard v1.1.1.20

Duplicate Wizard

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT 2012 won't import into one of my databases, but not others

Hello mrobbins,
If you are unable to import into a particular database, then there may be an issue with that database. Have you run maintenance on that database from the Tools menu in ACT!? Also, what exactly is happening when you try the import? Any errors messages? On the finish screen of the import there is a link for "View import log" - what does the log say?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

Yes, I run maintenance frequently.

When I try to import, all appears to work properly, except I don't see the green progress bar. It goes straight from an empty bar to "Import Complete" (with a delay). All the records appear to be found when I step through them in the Import Wizard. The field names are identical in the file and the ACT database. All contact names and company names are non-empty, and only ASCII characters are in the fields. I do not use quotation marks.

At the end, I see the "Import Wizard (10 of 10)” as the title of the message box, and the content reads "Import Complete Import has finished. Sage ACT! has created a log of records that were updated to this database."

If I check the log, it reads "Sage ACT! did not encounter any errors merging records." But no records were added.

There should be no duplicates in the file vs. the database.

I also tried turning off matching.

** Do you know anything else I can try to do to get these records into ACT!. They're piling up.

I own CompanionLink Pro, which I used for my initial migration to ACT. Perhaps I could do something with that?

Otherwise, is there a program which could perform the import? The database seems fine; it's just the import function that doesn't work on it.

TIA,

Win 7 Pro SP1 x64

Outlook 2010 x32 v14

Exponenciel Automatic Field Calculations v8.5

Company Wizard v1.1.1.20

Duplicate Wizard

During the Import Wizard, are you using the Back button to go back to your field mapping, then forward again?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

I may have done it once or twice, but I have tried so many times I'm sure I go straight through now.  Next, next, next, next.

In the import wizard, what are your settings for the Contact Merge options?

Greig Hollister

Copper Contributor

I attached the entire sequence as jpegs.  The eight shows the merge options which are:

Contact records: Merge / Add

Notes: Replace with newst / Add

History: Replace with newst / Add

Activities: Replace with newst / Add

Secondary contacts: Replace with newst / Add

Thanks

Copper Contributor

Is there a third party solution that I could try to use to import a CSV or XLS into my database?

TIA,

Win 7 Pro SP1 x64

Outlook 2010 x32 v14

Exponenciel Automatic Field Calculations v8.5

Company Wizard v1.1.1.20

Duplicate Wizard

Copper Contributor

OK.  It's the Hotfix that broke my import function.

I rolled back to Sage ACT! Premium 2012 14.0.572.0 Hot Fix 2 and the import works fine.

Beware Hot Fix 5!

Copper Contributor

I have the exact same problem on 14.1.108.0 database.  i.e. no records from an XLS file get added to the database, even though the log file reports no errors.  Before I read this log, I installed HF6 hoping that would fix it, but it hasn't.  I have tested the same imports on a backup of the DB on my own computers (14.1.108.0 Pro & 15.0.301.0 Premium), & the import works fine.  Contact duplicate checking is turned-on, but only on the Contact field.

I can upgrade to v15 if that will fix it, but I am hoping there is a simpler solution.