Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2012 very slow need recommendations

ACT 2012 very slow need recommendations

There are a lot of posts for ACT 2012 running slow. I've read through them but have not found a solution to my problem.

ACT Premium 2012 v 14.1.108.0   Installed on Windows Server 2008 R2   64 bit 16G RAM

SQL server 2008 express  edition 64-bit.

150G RAID 1 system disk hosting the OS and ACT.

We have twelve users licensed and running with thin client workstations connecting to the Server 2008 RDS (remote desktop - used to be named terminal services on our old Windows 2003 server).

The Windows 2008 server and ACT 2012 were installed  September 2011 and has been running somewhat OK for all that time. lately the users have begin complaining that they are loosing updates to contact records (I don't use ACT, don't know what the users do with it, I just set up hardware and software

for clients).

The last straw that caused the client to call me to resolve issues with ACT having very slow performance. Let me describe what I witnessed when the user was

demonstrating the problem: 

User opened act and logged in.

She clicked the "opportunities" side bar and I see 14,000+ records listed.

She selected "date"  -> "custom" -> and entered 1/1/2012 start to 12/31/2012 end.

She selected all users

With the 14,000+ contact records displayed in the list view, She highlighted the first record and then then used the window slider to move focus to the bottom of the page to display the last record.

She pressed a key combination (shift + click?)  to select all the records.

First problem I noticed: After all the records are highlighted, the session is un-responsive. That is you can move the mouse and select other Windows but as you move the mouse over the ACT Menu bar, the selections do not respond to the mouse-over for 30 to 60 seconds or more.

The operator had been clicking the magnifier icon to search on the selected records as soon as she had selected the entire range. This did not respond for several seconds. That's when I noticed the above non-response on the top menu.

Once the top menu items begin to respond to the mouse-over, the operator can click the magnifier glass icon and the search will begin.

I use Process explorer to show the disk I/O activity and during the initial search we see very little disk activity. Finally at about 70 seconds, disk activity spikes up and remains up for another 70 seconds while the "loading" message is displayed by ACT. Then disk activity drops down to low levels for another 70 seconds and finally  the "loading" message disappears and the search is completed.

The operator has the ability to select what to include in the non-list view (sorry for not using the correct name). If they are all selected, then skipping from

record to record is very slow. I unchecked them all and nothing appears when skipping from record to record but the skip is very fast.

I'm posting this from memory: If you select "actions" (or may it is identified as jobs), then skipping to the next record is very slow as if the selected

item is not indexed for a search.  This is nearly unusable for the intended purpose.

Does any of the above make sense?  What do I check/change to fix this performance issue?

Bronze Super Contributor

Re: ACT 2012 very slow need recommendations

With the symptoms you've described I'd guess that the SQL Express process will be sitting at approx 1.4 GB RAM use.

If so, this would indicate that you've hit the 1GB RAM use for the instance that SQL Express imposes, in which case upgrading to SQL Standard would solve this issue. If the SQL Express process is at less than 1.2GB when the user undertakes these steps then this is not your issue.

benhamilton wrote:

With the symptoms you've described I'd guess that the SQL Express process will be sitting at approx 1.4 GB RAM use.

If so, this would indicate that you've hit the 1GB RAM use for the instance that SQL Express imposes, in which case upgrading to SQL Standard would solve this issue. If the SQL Express process is at less than 1.2GB when the user undertakes these steps then this is not your issue.

Thanks for your comments.  Do you have any suggestion on how to check the SQL express memory usage in Windows server 2008?

What troubles me is that the machine is loafing along. 4 core CPU (INT Xeon X3460 2.80GHz) usage never above 20-30%  We get the same results logged in on a RDP thin client or directly on the system console. The image below was taken on an RDP thin client screen. The system was rebooted just prior to the test  and only one user is running ACT.

IMG_3075B.jpg

Bronze Super Contributor

In the screenshot below you can see that the SQL Server process for the ACT7 instance is using 1,070.4MB of RAM. This one is fine. If yours is up around the 1.4 GB mark and you're using SQL Express that's when you've got an issue.

Screen Shot 2016-11-15 at 3.53.49 pm.png

Ben.

Bronze Super Contributor

Additional links of use:

Features Supported by the Editions of SQL Server 2008 R2

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc645993(v=sql.105).aspx

Maximum Capacity Specifications for SQL Server

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143432(v=sql.105).aspx

The first link shows that SQL Express (2008R2) will only use 1 cpu, 1 GB RAM,  Max DB size of 10GB.

[ Edited ]

I stopped by the client today to get the following information. What settings should I use in ACTDIAG server configuration

for min and max memory to limit sqlservr.exe to  less then 1G?

sql express memory usage.jpgSQL server memory configuration.jpg

I had contemplated moving the ACT indices folder from its current location to a new SSD disk  (DSmiley Happy to try to speed up searches.

This view shows that the index files are mostly written and not read so moving them to SSD might not provide any improvement.

Another look at indicies I-O.jpg

The bigger issue I think is bytes per second on SQL server:

sqlserver disk usage.jpg

Bronze Super Contributor

Your first screenshot shows sqlservr.exe using 1.5+ GB of RAM.

It's a Microsoft SQL Server limitation that SQL Server Express will **ONLY** use up to 1GB of RAM. 

This is your first and primary bottleneck. To remove this bottleneck you have two choices:

1. Reduce the size of your database
  2. Upgrade to SQL Server Standard
  3. Bonus option (leave things as they are)

Moving the indices to SSD might help, but that's a secondary issue. Changing the settings in ActDiag will make no difference until you upgrade your version of SQL. 

smfabac wrote:

I stopped by the client today to get the following information. What settings should I use in ACTDIAG server configuration

for min and max memory to limit sqlservr.exe to  less then 1G?

sql express memory usage.jpg