Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! 2012 upgrade issues?

ACT! 2012 upgrade issues?

I downloaded ACT! 2012 Pro today but because of ACT! upgrade horrors in the past (remember version 6?) I'm loath to actually install it yet.  Can't wait to hear experiences of others who have done this upgrade.  Of particular interest to me...does ALL the data from the previous version (2010) transfer over? (notes, history, opportunities, etc) Is there a noticable speed difference...slower or faster? What's the Outlook integration like? What's the smartphone integration like?

Thanks!

Bronze Super Contributor

Re: ACT! 2012 upgrade issues?

Well, barring that there is corruption in your current database, all of the data will "come over".  You are not actually creating a new database (although you could I suppose) but you are converting from 2010 to 2012 - so everything that was there is still there plus whatever formatting changes that have come down the pike since your last version...

All things being equal, should be faster in some places as Sage has continued to do performance tweaks.

Don't recall that there are any feature changes in Outlook email integration since 2010, although there may be something I am forgetting.

No changes to smartphone integration per se, unless you consider adding ACT! connect to your tools...

Be sure that you have a current ACT! backup in 2010 format before beginning to install 2012...

Currently on Act 2009 and anxious to get Microsoft Office 2010 integration going. Downloaded the trial version of Sage Act 2012 and went through the install process. A bit confusing message about an impending reboot and then after waiting and nothing happening, determined that I was to say yes so that new SQL 2008 module can be installed.

Install complete and uneasy feeling about the existing act database is to be converted and not able to be downgraded and used again by the old version. Well, the program hangs for me and will not convert the database nor will it allow me to open a new database saying its wont work on anything less than version 661 , what ever that means.

I notice that others are getting same error messages as me in this forum and have to suspect there is some configuration tweeking still needed to be done before prime time release.

Sorry to tell you that I cannot install this trial version to comment and the run time version test drive was always busy and I did not want to wait around in a que to try it out.  Good luck.

Copper Contributor

Just upgraded today.  3000 contacts.  No sweat.  Coming from v2011 on brand new Win7 Lenovo machine with plenty of horsepower.

Copper Contributor

does the program create an install log?  i want to check my fields before i call it quits on v6.  that, and i was unclear when i was matching fields during install.  

It looks like 2009 - 2011 upgrades to 2012 are working fine.  But I am looking to go from Act 6.0 to 2012.  What issues can I look forward to?  Will all notes, histories and accounts transfer over?  Lots of merge documents also from the past version.  I will be using Word 2002 and Outlook 2003 on a Windows 7 Pro computer.  Will 2012 link to Word and Outlook?

Platinum Super Contributor

To help ensure as smooth of a transition as possible, the one function you need to perform is database maintenance within the V6 program.  Here is an article with instructions for converting a V6 database to 2012 and include instructions for running maintenance: KB Article 28596

I would recommend installing Sage ACT! 2012 on the computer with V6 and performing the conversion there - once converted you can use the Backup and Restore options (under File menu) to move the database to the new computer. 

While ACT! 2012 is compatible with Outlook 2003, it is not compatible with Word 2002. (Sage ACT! 2012 System Requirements)

Greg Martin
Sage

Will it be difficult to install Act 2012 on my old XP computer that has V6 and then install it again on my new windows 7 computer?  I have been using the trial version of Act 2012 and have a problem with the Notes and History split tabs.  Is there a way to merge all notes and history in just history?  I need to see both at the same time as I can in V6.  Moving forward I will only enter Histories to avoid any problems.

Copper Contributor

In Dec. 2011 we converted from V6 to Act 2012, and our users shared your concern regarding the split notes/histories.  We too wanted it just like V6 -- all on one tab.  We've found that the split tabs actually allow us to more quickly find what we need.  The History tab has all the email msgs & attachments, and notes are just that...notes.  We don't have to wade down thru everything to find a note we attached. 

I don't mind the split tabs moving forward, but a lot of my notes in V6 (10 years worth) should be histories in Act 2012.  I have seen other forum notes that there is an add on the will merge notes with history.  I would very much like to find out how to merge the two.