Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2012 slowing computer upon startup

ACT 2012 slowing computer upon startup

We are running 4 versions of ACT 2012, latest update, windows 7 and we are finding our computers are really slow upon boot up (restarting the computer).  I even bought a new computer (Desktop) and I am experiencing the same thing.  So I know it isn't that the computer is too old.  I removed ACT on my old existing laptop that was taking 10 minutes to boot up and after removing ACT the computer came up normal, with no delays.  This told me that ACT is causing the delay or problem.

Talking to someone at Sage, they mentioned it could be the SQL database not starting up properly or ACT starting before the SQL system, which is causing ACT to hang, slowing the computer boot up sequence.  From time to time we will get an error from ACT that the SQL database hadn't started up.

Is anyone else out there experiencing the same thing?  Something with ACT or SQL is hanging the computer on start up.  Does anyone have a solution?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT 2012 slowing computer upon startup

Do you have ACT! in the start menu? It does sound like youhave problems with MSSQL, perhaps some other program (antivirus ?) interferring with the SQL service loading, starting and loading all the attached databases.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

When you say, do we have ACT in the start up menu, if you are implying are we having the computer launch ACT at startup, then my answer would be No.  It would be the normal background software that ACT runs on a computer. 

I wouldn't put it past the anti-virus software.  Is there some recommendations you would have as to what we need to do to open up the anti-virus software?  I have gone into the firewall and put in all the exemptions that the knowledge base recommended, which didn't change things, but there wasn't anything about the anti-virus software.

Platinum Elite Contributor

If it's the anti-virus you could try restarting the computer without the anti-virus to see if that makes a difference. Under any circumstances if you are using the real time scaning i would make an exception for the ACT! program and the SQL service. 

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129