Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2012 "ACT! has determined that Microsoft SQL Server is not running. ACT! will try to start SQL Server..."

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

ACT 2012 "ACT! has determined that Microsoft SQL Server is not running. ACT! will try to start SQL Server..."

Hello friends,

I'm in a bind,  My SQL Server is causing ACT to be unaccessible. 

Here's my story.

Sunday, I attempted to do a remote back-up on my NAS (its been awhile). I recieved an error that Back-up was not availible because of an error. I than trouble shooted the error by apply a  SQL server patch: 

I did a complete back-up to my NAS can confirmed it was successful.

the next morning I find that I can't assess my  Database, say SQL Server is unavailable. I've tried to manuel start the SQL services by 

Now, I can't get ACT to even give me the option to select a database, it starts with another small window pop-up stating "sage act has determined that microsoft sql server is not running, Sage ACT! will try to start SQL Server...""

When I tried to manuelly start SQL Server(AC7) from Services it gives me an error. "Windows could not start theSQL Server (ACT7) on local computer. For more information, review the System Event log. It this is a non-Microsoft service, contact the service vendor, and refer to service-specific error code 17113."

Which I found has been resolved by people upgrading the SQL Server Express from 2005 to 2008 SPK1 R2, I download the software and installed it but still getting the same freeze when starting sage act has determined that microsoft sql server is not running, Sage ACT! will try to start SQL Server..."

Anyone have any tips on what they would do next?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author josephv500
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Re: ACT 2012 "ACT! has determined that Microsoft SQL Server is not running. ACT! will try to start SQL Server..."

Okay, in the SQL server configuration manager, under Network Configuration (Any that you see), make sure your settings look like this:

sqlmanager

If your settings DO look like this already, then I strongly suggest we manually remove the SQL instance, and reinstall the instance by hand.

Remove SQL: http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26993

When I remove SQL, the first thing I do before touching this KB is to Remove each entry from the Program's list in control panel from top to bottom.  Then I step through the KB, then I reinstall.

Install SQL: http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26994

If you get any errors on creation of the Instance, then post them here.

Billy Clark
Swiftpage
Act! Knowledgebase: http://kb.act.com

View solution in original post

All Replies

Re: ACT 2012 "ACT! has determined that Microsoft SQL Server is not running. ACT! will try to start SQL Server..."

josephv500,

Can I get a little more information/clarification on some things?

Version of Windows:

Version of SQL:

Version of Act!:

Is the SQL service starting at all?

Also if you could open up ACTDIAG, and tell me if it gives you an error message.  It may take some time to load after you click on the disclaimer.  That's fine.  Once the ACTDIAG program comes up, if there is an error message at the bottom, please respond with the exact message as far as you can read.

Note: To open ACTDIAG:

Click the Windows Start button, select Run and type "actdiag" The ACT! Diagnostics utility launches.
Note: For Windows Vista® and later operating systems, use the key combination Windows + R to display the Run dialog.

Billy Clark
Swiftpage

bclark,

thanks for replying, Here's more info.

Version of Windows: Windows 7 Professional, SPK 1 

Lenovo R61i, Intel Core 2 Duo CPU, T5750 @ 2.00GHz , 3GB RAM, 32 bit Operating System

2013-08-09 11_39_54-System.png

Version of SQL: Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2

I could not confirm this is running because this seem to be the piece giving me all the problems.

2013-08-09 11_33_51-Programs and Features.png

Vesion of ACT!:  Sage ACT! Pro 2012 Version: 14.1.108.0

2013-08-09 11_35_13-About ACT! Diagnostics.png

When I open ACTDIAG:

Here the first screen that pops up:

2013-08-09 11_32_26-Act! - Reply to Message - Act! Community.png

Then when I click OK, it opens to:

2013-08-09 11_32_48-.png

When I click on the Server tab and click on SQL Server Connections

2013-08-09 11_31_08-Act! - Reply to Message - Act! Community.png

I've manuelly tried to start the SQL Server 10+ times, but it just will not start.

when I start ACT!, here's the screen I get: 

After about 2 minutes it times out then I have to close it down.

Again, any direction you can give me would be so appreciated. thanks -Joseph

Solution
Accepted by topic author josephv500
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Okay, in the SQL server configuration manager, under Network Configuration (Any that you see), make sure your settings look like this:

sqlmanager

If your settings DO look like this already, then I strongly suggest we manually remove the SQL instance, and reinstall the instance by hand.

Remove SQL: http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26993

When I remove SQL, the first thing I do before touching this KB is to Remove each entry from the Program's list in control panel from top to bottom.  Then I step through the KB, then I reinstall.

Install SQL: http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26994

If you get any errors on creation of the Instance, then post them here.

Billy Clark
Swiftpage

Thanks for the reply,

My SQL server configuration manager settings DO look like this already, I will follow the instructions to manually remove the SQL instance and reinstall by hand.

2013-08-09 14_19_28-Sql Server Configuration Manager.png

thanks again -Joseph

It worked!, Took some time but well worth it.

I followed your instruction exactly, thanks for the Tip about removing all the SQL software from the control panel first.

I also uninstalled and reinstalled ACT! just to ensure it was a clean install.

Again, thanks a million!!! - Joseph

Copper Contributor

error 17113 -- ACT 2012 "ACT! has determined that Microsoft SQL Server is not running. ACT! will try to start SQL Server..."

I am having a similar problem with Act Pro 2011 -- have followed the steps above but am now stuck

my laptop crashed and I am unable to get ACT7 restarted -- getting error 17113 when I try to start  ACT

I have installed and uninstalled several times but wonder if I am using the correct SQL version

ACT version is - 13.1.111.0, Hot fix 6

ACTDIAG does not find the database

if you can tell me what SQL to try installing (a link if you have it), I will do that -- currently have 2008 R2 installed

Re: error 17113 -- ACT 2012 "ACT! has determined that Microsoft SQL Server is not running. ACT! will try to start SQL Server..."

Ebenwalker,

It would be SQL 2008 R2 for your version.  The express version is on the installation media/download folder for Act! 2011.

If following the manual uninstall/reinstall of SQL gives you no errors initially, do this:

Open Actdiag : Start>Run>Actdiag or Start>Type Actdiag in the search>Actdiag

When that opens up it may tell you that it could not connect to SQL.  Click OK to continue.  At the bottom of the Actdiag window it will give you an error.  Give me that error, and I can probably kickstart your version of SQL.

An average 17113 happens when a required system file for SQL was not installed correctly.  Let me know if Actdiag gives you any information.

Billy Clark
Swiftpage
Copper Contributor

Re: error 17113 -- ACT 2012 "ACT! has determined that Microsoft SQL Server is not running. ACT! will try to start SQL Server..."

rebuilt system from a several week old backup - then reinstalled (for the tenth time) SQL using original disk media.  success.  thanks

I am having the same problem but I can't open the sql server configuaration.

Act pro 2013

Win 7 / 64-bit

Version of SQL: not sure. If I go to all program I see Microsoft SQL 2005, 2008, and 2008 R2; so I am not sure which one is used.

If I try to start SQL Server (ACT7) under services, I get this: 

Capture.JPG

Ifg I try to open sql server configuration manager (accessed from start menu), I get this (FYI I use the administrator account): 

Capture.JPG

And when I try to open actdiag:

Capture.JPG

and

Capture2.JPG

Any help would be greatly appreciated!