Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2012 or actdiag cannot connect to SQL

ACT 2012 or actdiag cannot connect to SQL

I have had to reinstall ACT 2012 after error deletes by a duplicate file finder Smiley Sad

As part of remedy I have deleted ACT and SQL and  reinstalled ACT 2012; SQL is running but now running actdiag states NOT CONNECTED

Trying to open databases manually ADF  ALF also does not work and also ACT will not start

Have now deleted and resinstalled many times but no joy

Downloaded latest actdiag but no change

Re: ACT 2012 or actdiag cannot connect to SQL

Further to my post here is log

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the login process. (provider: Shared Memory Provider, error: 0 - No process is on the other end of the pipe.)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)

at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)

at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParserStateObject.ReadSniError(TdsParserStateObject stateObj, UInt32 error)

at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParserStateObject.ReadSni(DbAsyncResult asyncResult, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)

at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParserStateObject.ReadNetworkPacket()

at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParserStateObject.ReadBuffer()

at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParserStateObject.ReadByte()

at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.CompleteLogin(Boolean enlistOK)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.AttemptOneLogin(ServerInfo serverInfo, String newPassword, Boolean ignoreSniOpenTimeout, Int64 timerExpire, SqlConnection owningObject)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.LoginNoFailover(String host, String newPassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance, SqlConnection owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Int64 timerStart)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.OpenLoginEnlist(SqlConnection owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, String newPassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ctor(DbConnectionPoolIdentity identity, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Object providerInfo, String newPassword, SqlConnection owningObject, Boolean redirectedUserInstance)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningConnection)

at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreateNonPooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPoolGroup poolGroup)

at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection)

at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open()

at ActDiag.ServerInfo.ۤ()

at ActDiag.ServerInfo.ۥ()

at ActDiag.ServerInfo.get_Ӥ()

at ActDiag.ServerInfo.۪()

at ActDiag.ServerInfo.get_ۏ()

at ActDiag.ServerInfo.ۦ()

at ActDiag.ServerInfo.۫(Object ԙ, EventArgs Ԛ)

at System.Windows.Forms.UserControl.OnLoad(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.UserControl.OnCreateControl()

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.SetVisibleCore(Boolean value)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.set_Visible(Boolean value)

at ActDiag.FormACTDiag.י()

at ActDiag.FormACTDiag.֝(Object ԙ, EventArgs Ԛ)

Silver Contributor

Have you tried this KB Article?

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29024/~/error%3A-%22a-transport-level-error...

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Thanks for your reply

Even via ACTDIAG the DB is not connected

I have just reinstalled ACT and SQL again but still same fault

"Unhandled exception error has occured in your application. If you click continue the app will ignore this error and attempt to continue       LOGIN failes for user ACTACCESS

Thanks

Platinum Elite Contributor

Hello audiotx100,
Welcome to the ACT! Community. What Windows operating system are you installing on?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Windows 7 64 Ultimate

Thanks

Failed to open a connection to the database

This is still the error message when opening ACT

It does display a list of databases but which ever one I select the same error arises

I have checked SQL is running and restarted both elements

I have checked SQL status and configuration, all correct

I have disabled firewall and AV

I have altered preferences.xml to old but could not find USPreferences, only UK

MSSQLACT7 does not appear in list of running apps but as I am on Win 7 am I right this is not now displayed?

I have run a SQL repair and it reports all correct

ACTDIAG cannot connect

Thanks

I'm having similar problems and have just posted a new Subject.  I will monitor your Subject and let you know if I have any joy.  My database contains 10,000 + contacts and just too much info to loose, I hope there is a free or cheap resolution to my lack of smarts.

Platinum Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Audiox100,
Since you are able to get to the database list in ActDiag, try clicking on Server > Server Security.  If you are able to get to that screen, click 'Reset SQL Password'.  If that succeeds, attempt to open database.

If that fails, I would try a manual installation of SQL Server to create the ACT7 instance (after uninstalling SQL Server).  Here is an article with instructions: KB Article 26994

The manual installation will provide better messaging should it fail.

Greg Martin
Sage

Thank you very much for your reply.

I have reloaded act several times, each time deleting .tmp items and rebooting

Also done a self install of SQL creating a server instance of ACT7 as per the article you kindly quoted

but still act cannot access any database via actdiag - it says "not connected" nor display a database list

I have run a SQL test and it reports no errors

There is something blocking act reaching sql

I really cannot suffer the trial of re installing windows and all my applications so am at a loss to know what else to do

SUMMARY

1) ACT reinstalled and it did not seem to load SQL so i installed SQL and created fresh instance - no connection

2) Erased both and tried again, same result

3) IS there something that stays behind in regisrty or tmp that tells act dont install SQL - even if SQL is not there

as then act seems not to connect to act

4) How can I delete SQL and ACT so that when I reload act it thinks it is day one

Thanks