Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! 2012 integration with Instant Accounts: be careful!

Tuned Listener

ACT! 2012 integration with Instant Accounts: be careful!

I have have recently "upgraded" an ACT 2011/Instant Accounts (IA) 2-user installation to the latest versions of both.  It also involved moving from a workgroup to an SBS 2011 installation with the view of getting the best performance. I had specifically consulted with Sage support in advnace to check hardware and software requirements etc.

Sage make out that the latest accounts integration is so much better.  It is (in theory) only if you are happy to be able to link one Instant Accounts account to one company in ACT. You can no longer link to contacts. This means that you cannot have more than one contact in a company or organisation that has an individual account in IA.

This is a serious design flaw.  The only way round it is to install the old accounting link, but so far I have only been able to get that to work for one of the two users!

I spent 3 days last week on this, and found that the new link does not work (on my system anyway). I then had to import all the records from IA (that's bugged too) and go through them manually (think about that if you have thousands of records), then to find that it worked in a completely different way totally unsuitable to our needs. I then had to install the old link which of course does not work on 64bit systems and I had specifically configured a new Windows installation for this puipose.

So if you are thinking of upgrading check that the new software will do what you want and allocate plenty of time.  I wish I had stayed with 2011. If I were buying new I would look elsewhere. Total frustration.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT! 2012 integration with Instant Accounts: be careful!

You really should speak to a UK ACT! Consultant ... there are third-party links that are often better (not sure about IA) and the Consultants are usually better skilled at knowing the pitfalls than Sage support.

There are quite a few UK consultants in the LinkedIN ACT! Fanatics Group:
http://www.linkedin.com/groups/ACT-Fanatics-49896
You might try asking there ...
Tuned Listener

Thanks for the pointer Mike.

I have purchased add-ins in the past for ACT which have been very good (e.g. Northwoods).  I'll have a look but I don't really want to spend more for a facility that is built in to ACT.  I would normally use to a consultant/third-party when I am after something that ACT does not have built in.

I must say that I have always found the Sage ACT support staff very helpful; they need to be with all the problems I seem to experience when upgrading ACT.  However this time information about the ACT-IA integration has does not appear to have been disseminated well and information on the website is sparse.

Platinum Elite Contributor

There are third-party tools for something that ACT! has built-in because sage hasn't done those functions well enough :-(

Most of the Certified Consultants have worked with ACT! longer than the Sage staff and know it (and and limitations best handled by an addon) considerably better

I'm not saying that there is an addons for IA ... but you might find it worthwhile asking
Tuned Listener

Thanks I shall have a look Smiley Happy

Andrew