Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2012 database won't open--says it's in use by another application

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

ACT 2012 database won't open--says it's in use by another application

OK...I'm at wit's end....

Went to backup my DB and got an error. Did an integrity check and got another error. It said it could be fixed, so I let it do that.

Now the database won't open in ACT or ACTDIAG.

in ACT, it says "File is in use." and tells me to close the other app and try again (Outlook, Word, Connect, Sync and Scheduler are all CLOSED).

In ACTDIAG it says "Unhandled exception has occurred....  Database 'Blah' is already open and can only have one user at a time.

HELP!

Art Hebbeler

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Revbert
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT 2012 database won't open--says it's in use by another application

Sorry, forgot to tell you to turn the SQL Server (ACT7) service back on from the services window before attempting to open the renamed database

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Copper Contributor

UPDATE:

In an attempt to follow another suggestion here to move the "bad" files to a safe location, I got a Windows error telling me the file was open in SQL Server (ACT 7).

Does this help in solving my issue here?

Platinum Super Contributor

The message while attempting to move/copy the file to a safe location is normal.  The SQL program has a lock on the files and will not allow them to be copied or moved.  Stopping the SQL service will release the lock and allow them to be copied (see link below for accessing the service).

Assuming the database is physically located on your computer - have you rebooted the computer?  This would reset the SQL service.  You can also restart the service manually; instructions here: KB Article 28216.  You would stop, then start the service.

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

No, that isn't the issue at all. I wasn't in SAFE MODE, but moving it to a "safe" (that is, not a default ACT directory).

Bronze Super Contributor

Prior to discovering you couldn't back up or "fix" did you have any ugly/non-graceful shutdowns or crashes?

Did you make any field changes prior to this?  You know - add or delete fields...  Change field types or sizes?

It kind of sounds like you might have a corrupted database...

Copper Contributor

No.

No. and

No

I was doing a Verify and it found an error. After that, things went to heck quickly.

Copper Contributor

<sigh>

It seems that database issues are the greatest problem with ACT! and unless it is fixed by the KB articles, it seems that there are no answers to be found.

Frustrating....

Art,
What is the current error message or issue you are seeing? Also, what operating system does your computer use?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

Greg:

Win 7 (Home)

Error Message is: This file is in use. Enter a new name or close the file that's open in another program.

I have verified in Task Manager that  nothing with ACT in its name is running, and neither are any other apps (like Office apps).

[ Edited ]

When exactly do you receive this error message? When trying to copy the ACT! database through Windows Explorer? Or making a backup in ACT!? Sorry if the questions seem redundant to previous posts, but just trying to focus on the issue here and now.

Greig Hollister