Accepted Solution

ACT 2012 database won't open--says it's in use by another application

Copper Contributor

Re: ACT 2012 database won't open--says it's in use by another application

When trying to actually OPEN the database in ACT

Platinum Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

OK. We'll assume this is referring to your database file and the errror means that there is already a database by that name connected to SQL but in an invalid location.

This process will take your database and rename it to a different location on your computer:

- Close ACT! and all MS Office programs
- Click your Start button,then type services.msc

- In the services window, locate SQL Server (ACT7), right-click on it and Stop the service

- In Windows Explorer, browse the locate of the database you are trying to open

- Copy the .ADF, .ALF and -database files folder for that databse (ex., mydata.adf, mydata.alf, mydata-database files)

- Delete the .PAD file for this database (ex., mydata.pad)

- Create a new folder on the root of your C: drive called "ACT! Database" and paste the 3 database files in there

- Rename the database name for each of the copied files, only changing the database name, not the extension. For example, rename "mydata.adf" to "myACTdata.adf"

- Open ACT! and cancel any error message. Go to File > Open/Share Database, and click the link in the bottom left for "The database I want is not listed"

- In the Open screen, change the File Type in the bottom right from (.PAD) to (.ADF); browse to the directory on your C: drive that you copied and changed the database files

- Double-click the .ADF file for the renamed database

- Should get a message that ACT! will verify the database; click OK and it should take a minute or two to connect the "new" database to SQL then open it.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Solution
Accepted by topic author Revbert
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Sorry, forgot to tell you to turn the SQL Server (ACT7) service back on from the services window before attempting to open the renamed database

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Finally!

Actually, I feel really stupid.  I did everything on the list EXCEPT I forgot to make sure the -database_files go renamed.

Knew to check on SQL7. Had issues with that during the beta test <G>.

Thanks!

Very glad to hear you stuck with it got it resolved

Greig Hollister

Copper Contributor

What about a remote computer on a network getting error?

7 other workstations no problem and it was connecting 

Bronze Super Contributor

What's the error?

When you say remote, do you actually mean a PC that is accessing your ACT! database by a network connection?

(Usually when we talk about "remote" users, we are speaking of users who are not connected at all times to the network that the "main" database is on and they use synchronization to exchange data with "home office"...)

Copper Contributor

Sorry bad verbage. It is on the LAN and when you try to open the DB the error is "file is in use" . I can open the DEMOP DB on the C drive. 

Replaced the PAD file I can ping the server and can see the ADB via File\open