11-28-2011 09:28 AM
Has anybody found that Universal Search does not work on Terminal Server?
I recently updated a client with access to ACT! exclusively via Terminal Services. I found that whilst the INDICES file was populating, no results appeared.
When I checked the database server and the client server, I found that the Indices folder on the database server contained all the available databases as sub-folders, whilst the client (Terminal) Server had only sub-folders for the demo databases.
Whilst i was not surprised that the Universal Search was not working when accessing ACT! on the Terminal Server, I was surprised to find it would not work on the database server and wonder if the problem is with the UAC on Windows 2008 SBS Server?
ACT! Tech Support referred me to a KB which deals with scripting to an Indices folder in a differnt location, which I tried but this did not solve problem.
11-28-2011 05:24 PM
I've got our users on a terminal server, using the KB here: http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/28454/ to move our indices to a common location (on our server that's E:\ACT\Indices) that those users all have windows permissions for. I moved it because I don't have enough space on my C: (OS) to also keep the indices.
Universal search is working for our users. Love it.
11-28-2011 05:50 PM
Is your database on the Terminal Server or on a File/Application Server? Is the Indices folder on the Terminal Server or the File/Application Server? If it is on the Terminal Server, would it then be scripted to the location on the File/Application Server?
11-28-2011 05:56 PM
It is Microsoft Server 2008 R2 Standard, running as a Terminal Server.
It has two physical drives and a DVD drive.
C: (Operating System - physical drive 1)
E: (Data Drive - physical drive 2)
Microsoft SQL is installed in C:\Program Files\ as it is x64 bit.
ACT! is installed into C:\Program Files (x86) as it is x32 bit.
The ACT! Database itself is in E:\ACT\Databases\
The ACT! Indicies have been moved to E:\ACT\Indices\
Thus it is all on the one server, no second server required.
11-29-2011 02:54 AM
Ben, Thanks for the encouragement!
I have now managed to make it work in a 2-server sitation i.e .Terminal Server + File Application Server.
The new Indices file is created and shared in the database folder on the File/application server and the config amended accordingly.
The Indices file on the file/application server.
08-15-2012 06:46 PM
Just moving the Indicies for a client today, couldn't figure out why, when after making the changes listed in the KB http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/28454/ it kept creating the indicies in the original location, not the location I'd specified.
Figured it out... I hadn't done step 6, remove the comment characters.... DOH!.
Did that, now it's all working fine.
Just thought I'd share that as it's something that one could easily overlook... then spend ages trying to work out why...
08-16-2012 06:34 AM
08-16-2012 05:22 PM
Look great Greg.
Wasn't really trying to get a change to the KB, it was readable, but familiarity breeds slackness and I skimmed it.
That said, the change you've made definately makes it harder to miss when skimming it.