Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2012 Pro error with general search

Re: ACT 2012 Pro error with general search

Hi, I am hoping you can assist me...I have just applied the recent hot fix, and I am still receiving an Inavlid URI error. Could you please help?

George Patino
Bellagio Limousines
Perth, Western Australia
www.bellagiolimousines.com.au
Nickel Contributor

I found the problem I was having was specific to one ACT database and other databases did not give the error. I went through all of ACTDIAG to try and clear the problem, but to no avail. In the end I had to create a new, empty, database and export everthing from the dodgy database into the empty new one. All works fine now. 

Trevor Lever

UK - ACT Certified Consultant
www.actpartners.co.uk
trevor@actpartners.co.uk
Nickel Contributor

Not sure if this would be helpful in your situation:

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/28139/~/error%3A-%22invalid-uri%3A-the-uri-...

Mark

Mark Rogers
Act! v20 Update 9, Topline Designer
Office 365 SBP

Well that's a huge waste of time? Considering the amount of money a user pays to purchase this software, and the ongoing development with this software...one would presume that the engineers would not release it unless it was working fully??? It's like building a car and saying the brake lights will work only on the proviso if you take out the original wiring harness and replace it with a new wiring harness!!! It's a amazing how software engineers can get away with this and we the general public seem to accept it, yet if it was a whitegood or a car etc it would be downright disgraceful!
George Patino
Bellagio Limousines
Perth, Western Australia

Thanks, I'll check it out!
George Patino
Bellagio Limousines
Perth, Western Australia
Copper Elite Contributor

Any new suggestions on how to fix this error?

If I use the search function I get the error message then ACT crashes.

Stephen Buckland
stephenbuckland@gmail.com
Platinum Super Contributor

Have you tried the search in a different (new or demo) database, to see if it is specific to the database or affects all?
Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Elite Contributor

@gmartin wrote:
Have you tried the search in a different (new or demo) database, to see if it is specific to the database or affects all?

Yes, I have since my original post and there was no problem with another database which happens to be the master which the faulty db syncs with.

Also it works with a diiferent remote database on another machine which is configured similarly to the problem one.

I'll try to access the problem database from a different PC to see if it's likely to be the PC configuration or the database. I can't do that from home in the weekend :-)

What does that mean in terms of a solution?

Thanks,

Stephen Buckland
Platinum Super Contributor

Just to make sure... did you test another database (new or demo) on the 'problem' machine? Or were they on other computers? You'll want to test on the 'problem' machine.

If it fails in multiple databases, it may be the search service (Act.Server.Host.exe) is not running. Check the Task Manager to see. If not running:
- Close Sage ACT!
- Browse to the installation directory (C:\Program Files\ACT\Act for Windows) > double click on file Act.Server.Host.exe to restart the service.
- Open database and test

If it only occurs with the 1 database, it may be that the search index files are corrupted. To rebuild them:
- Close Sage ACT!
- Through Task Manager, stop the Act.Server.Host.exe service
- Browse to the appropriate location:
- Windows® XP, Windows Server® 2003: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ACT\ACT Data\
- Windows Vista®, Windows® 7, Windows Server 2008: C:\ProgramData\Act\ACT Data\

- Delete the Indices folder
- Browse to the installation directory (C:\Program Files\ACT\Act for Windows) > double click on file Act.Server.Host.exe to restart the service.
- Launch Sage ACT! > open database > it will then rebuild the files/folder. This can take several minutes to populate the files.
- Test
Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Elite Contributor

@gmartin wrote:
Just to make sure... did you test another database (new or demo) on the 'problem' machine? Or were they on other computers? You'll want to test on the 'problem' machine.

If it fails in multiple databases, it may be the search service (Act.Server.Host.exe) is not running. Check the Task Manager to see. If not running:
- Close Sage ACT!
- Open database and test
If it only occurs with the 1 database, it may be that the search index files are corrupted. To rebuild them:
- Close Sage ACT!
- Through Task Manager, stop the Act.Server.Host.exe service
- Browse to the appropriate location:
- Windows® XP, Windows Server® 2003: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ACT\ACT Data\
- Windows Vista®, Windows® 7, Windows Server 2008: C:\ProgramData\Act\ACT Data\

- Delete the Indices folder
- Launch Sage ACT! > open database > it will then rebuild the files/folder. This can take several minutes to populate the files.
- Test

I've tested this with several databases including ACTDEMO2012 on the same machine. Either I get the error as described with my day to day database or no results with ACTDEMO when I try a search.

I have stopped and restarted Act.Server.Host.exe (which could only done through Win 7 services, not by clicking the file).

Where is the Indices folder? I searched comprehensively to no avail. i can't delete it since I can't find it.

I'm happy to keep tinkering with any other suggestions.

My suspicion is TuneUp Utilities is interfering with the safe running of ACT.

Stephen Buckland