Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2012 Pro error with general search

ACT 2012 Pro error with general search

In the general search bar at the top right of the screen, I receive a "Invalid URI: The URI is empty." message.  I noted this on my beta forum during beta testing but I don't think it got resolved.  This is an important function for me as I need to be able to quickly search for a key word in my contact/client lists, such as a last name, etc.  I know I can do a "lookup" function but that is a little more cumbersome and time consuming than this general search.  ACT 2011's search was great.

Copper Contributor

Re: ACT 2012 Pro error with general search

We resolved several causes for this kind of error before release. I'm sorry this particular issue in your case was not uncovered. The message occurs when the service for the search feature is not running or not installed for some reason. I would be interested in scheduling a time to understand more about the circumstances. Please private message me.

Keith Saccuci
ACT! R&D
Bronze Elite Contributor

This should have been resolved int he final release of 2012, but in order to receive the fix you would have had to uninstall the Beta before installing the Gold release. 

Can you confirm that you did an uninstall before installing the Gold release? If not can you uninstall and reinstall.  Post results and I'll contact you if problems persist. 

Thank you. 

I made sure to uninstall the beta version and beta refresh prior to installation of the final version.

Hi Keith, I am receiving the same error. I did not install the BETA version, I simply upgraded. ACT 2012 uninstalled ACT 2011. Is there something I can do as I too use the search facility extensively. Cheers
George Patino
Bellagio Limousines
Perth, Western Australia
www.bellagiolimousines.com.au
Copper Contributor

Hi,

Try the following things

1. Check services.msc to see if 'ACT! Service Host' is started.

2. Check task manager to see if act.server.host.exe is present in the process list.

3. Delete preferences in %appdata% - http://tinyurl.com/629qh38

4. If your using Windows 7 or Windows Vista, turn off UAC - http://tinyurl.com/627yb39

5. Try a new windows User

6. Check for any errors in the ACT! Logviewer (C:\Program Files\ACT\ACT For Windows\logviewer.exe)

Questions

1. Are you accessing a local database or a networked database?

Hope this helps,

SS

Platinum Super Contributor

Removed my response. Redundant information (same as previous response).

Nickel Contributor

I've got the same issue on one of my machines. I did have the beta installed and upgraded. Now have just uninstalled and reinstalled ACT 2012 from the install DVD. 

'ACT! Service Host' is runnning

act.server.host.exe is present in the process list

UAC i sturned off on this Win 7 machine

There is an excaption error in the ACT! Log viewer  - anyone know how to interpret the detailed error message: 

Error Exception: Invalid URI: The URI is empty.System.UriFormatException: Invalid URI: The URI is empty.
at System.Uri.CreateThis(String uri, Boolean dontEscape, UriKind uriKind)
at System.Uri..ctor(String uriString)
at System.ServiceModel.EndpointAddress..ctor(String uri)
at Act.UI.Search.SearchServiceClientFactory.GetSearchClient()
at Act.UI.Search.SearchViewViewModel.PerformSearch()
at Act.UI.Search.SearchViewViewModel.SearchControlExecute(Object parameter)
at Microsoft.Practices.Composite.Wpf.Commands.DelegateCommand`1.Execute(T parameter)
at Microsoft.Practices.Composite.Wpf.Commands.DelegateCommand`1.System.Windows.Input.ICommand.Execute(Object parameter)
at Act.Shared.Wpf.Controls.CommandReference.Execute(Object parameter)
at System.Windows.Input.CommandManager.TranslateInput(IInputElement targetElement, InputEventArgs inputEventArgs)
at System.Windows.UIElement.OnKeyDownThunk(Object sender, KeyEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Input.KeyEventArgs.InvokeEventHandler(Delegate genericHandler, Object genericTarget)
at System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(Delegate handler, Object target)
at System.Windows.RoutedEventHandlerInfo.InvokeHandler(Object target, RoutedEventArgs routedEventArgs)
at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args)
at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEvent(RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean trusted)
at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessStagingArea()
at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessInput(InputEventArgs input)
at System.Windows.Input.InputProviderSite.ReportInput(InputReport inputReport)
at System.Windows.Interop.HwndKeyboardInputProvider.ReportInput(IntPtr hwnd, InputMode mode, Int32 timestamp, RawKeyboardActions actions, Int32 scanCode, Boolean isExtendedKey, Boolean isSystemKey, Int32 virtualKey)
at System.Windows.Interop.HwndKeyboardInputProvider.ProcessKeyAction(MSG& msg, Boolean& handled)
at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.CriticalTranslateAccelerator(MSG& msg, ModifierKeys modifiers)
at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.System.Windows.Interop.IKeyboardInputSink.TranslateAccelerator(MSG& msg, ModifierKeys modifiers)
at System.Windows.Forms.Integration.ElementHost.ProcessCmdKey(Message& msg, Keys keyData)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PreProcessMessage(Message& msg)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PreProcessControlMessageInternal(Control target, Message& msg)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.PreTranslateMessage(MSG& msg)

Thanks 

Trevor Lever

UK - ACT Certified Consultant
www.actpartners.co.uk
trevor@actpartners.co.uk
Platinum Super Contributor

Is this database local to the computer?  If not, check the service on the hosting machine.

If local:

Exceptions to add to firewall:

- port 8112

- ACT.Server.Host.exe

Greg Martin
Sage
Nickel Contributor

It's a stand alone machine. Checked AV / Firewall and added port and exclusion - same Invalid URI error when using the new Search option. 

Disabled AV / Firewall (just in case) - same problem...

Trevor Lever

UK - ACT Certified Consultant
www.actpartners.co.uk
trevor@actpartners.co.uk