Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2012 Pro does not work on Windows 10 Home

Copper Contributor

ACT 2012 Pro does not work on Windows 10 Home

Dear Act Communit:

I just upgraded my Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 Home edition and my Act databases dont start.  I have Act 2012 Pro, and I get this message:

"SAGE ACT has determined that Microsoft SQL Server is not running. Sage ACT wll now try to start SQL server. This may take a few seconds."

Nothing ever happens... and then when you close this dialog box, you get another window message:

"Invoke or Begininvoke cannot be called on a a control until the window handle has been created."

All this is too technical for me.... can anyone out there help please??  I need to get working on my databsaes soon....

a) how do I get the Microsoft SQL server to run

b) How can I create a window handle??

Thanks!

Nickel Contributor

Re: ACT 2012 Pro does not work on Windows 10 Home

I haven't upgraded to 10 yet, so I'm not sure exactly were things are, but I do know something that you'll need to check. You'll need to open up the Services area (usually in Administrative Tools or Computer Management, you should also be able to just search "Services"). You'll need to make sure that the SQL Server services are running (Status="Started"); specifically "SQL Server (ACT7)", "SQL Server Browser", and "SQL Server VSS Writer". The (ACT7) of the first one is the instance name. It may be different, but similar, than what is listed for you, because I have ACT 2013. All of these services should be listed as Automatic for the Startup Type.

It's very probable that your 2nd issue about the Invoke call is caused by SQL Server not running. I wouldn't worry about it right now.

Bronze Super Contributor

I've just upgraded to W10 and had the message about SQL not started.

I went to 'services.msc' and started it and all is good now.

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 
Copper Contributor

Try to start act as administrator, right click act icon and select run  as administrator

Copper Contributor

start you act as administrator,
Copper Super Contributor

Hi,

Please be aware that Act! v16 and below are not tested and certified with Windows 10. We do offer limited support, but we do not guarantee that we can fix any issues you may have.

You should note that Act! 2012 was not supported on Windows 8 either.

Please refer to my post in the Windows 10 compatibility topic, it better explains some things you might be able to try to make sure the SQL Server (ACT7) service is running. If you do not understand the steps you will need to refer to your own IT support.

http://community.act.com/t5/Act-Developer-s-Forum/Windows-10-compatibility/m-p/309241#M8070

Kindest regards,

Sam.

Unfortunately I no longer work for Swiftpage International. Please do not send any queries to this account.
Copper Contributor

Thanks for your help and advice.  I realised that AVG was the culprit again!  I disabled  AVG and restarted ACT 2012 PRo and it worked in just a heart beat.  I then turned AVG on back again, and I've not had any problem since.

There's one annoying window that pops up everytime I start ACT for the first time in the day - PHONE AND MODEM.  I know someone had offered a few steps to counter this when we had the Windows 8 upgrade.  Do we have anything for Windows 10 to circumvent this issue?  Please advise.

It's nice to know how the ACT community comes together offering solutions out of their own expertise and knowledge, and thank you very much for all your help!

Best,

Jay

Nickel Contributor

Post from Sam:

http://community.act.com/t5/Act-Developer-s-Forum/Windows-10-compatibility/td-p/305507/page/5

That may help you out. If you haven't read through that thread yet, I suggest you do. There has been a lot of conversation on Windows 10 and ACT in there.

Copper Contributor

Thanks very much!
Copper Contributor

try to start act with run as administrator, you have also to open act before outloook