Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2012 Pro database issue

ACT 2012 Pro database issue

I had to replace my hard drive on my laptop. I backed everything up on my Seagate drive. I still have the old hard drive as well. When I try to open my database MB1A4, I get an ACT! message that pops up, "Could not find database called MB1A4 on host OWNER-PC". I'm not working on a network. The file is located on my new hard drive as MB1A4 it is under the OWNER folder. The file that I'm trying to load is a very small PAD file 1 KB. It has the ACT logo to left of it as well, same as the ACT2012Demo file. Am I doing something? I sure hope so.

Freaking Out!

Mike

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT 2012 Pro database issue

The PAD file is pointing to the old computer. Try opening the database using the ADF file which will create anew PAD file.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Hello Mike,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. Instructions to recreate the .PAD file are in this Knowledgebase article:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2895...

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Not seeing any ADF file anywhere. Where would I find that file? Was my Seagate drive not backing up my database?

Greig,

Neither of these solutions seems to work. Once I reloded the software onto the new hard drive in my laptop. I have not been able to open the database.

Mike

[ Edited ]

Because the SQL server opens the database files at boot time most backup programs won't backup the ACT! database files. That's why it's best to use the ACT! scheduler to backup the ACT! database to a public folder so the backup program will backup that file.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

So are my only options to get my database off the old hard drive? If so, what file would I want them to pull? Might have the option of putting the old hard drive back into the computer & then saving the dtabase onto the Seagate drive. I will do pretty much anything to retrieve this database!

[ Edited ]

Mike,
Your database is comprised of 3 file types and one folder:
.ADF - this is your main database file
.ALF - log file
.PAD - small pointer file,used only to open the database
(database files) folder - contains all your database supplemental files (layouts, attachments, templates, reports, etc)

Of these files, the .ADF is the most critical. You need to locate this file if you want to open your database. Try doing a search of your machine and external drives for files with an .ADF extension (*.ADF).

To open an .ADF file in ACT! 2012:
- Go to File > Open/Share Database
- Click the link in the lower left for "The database I want is not listed"
- In the Open box, change the file type in the lower right to .ADF
- Browse to the location you think your database file might be, and double-click it to open
- You will get a message that the database needs to be verified - this will attach the database to SQL Server and create a new .PAD file
- If successful, the database will open and you will have a new .PAD file for it

You can also try and locate a .zip file for your database, as this is an ACT! backup file which you can restore.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Thanks Greig not seeing any ADF file on my Seagate drive. This is an eye opener. Here the whole time I thought that I had my database backed up.

Bronze Contributor

SQL holds the database open under the covers.   if you don't have a zip file copy of the database created by the internal ACT backup routine, then backups won't occur.  

Patricia Egen
Certified ACT! Consultant, Trainer, Developer
www.egenconsulting.com
(423) 875-2652

Follow us on:

Visit our Popular ACT Wizards Page Wizards Here!