Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2012 Pro Won't accept new Groups or new members to Groups

ACT 2012 Pro Won't accept new Groups or new members to Groups

I am unable to create a new Group, add members to existing Groups.  I called ACT yesterday and was basically told that my warranty is expired, (purchased in July) and that if I want Technical Help it's $100 for a single use. 

You might gather that I'm not a happy ACT user at present.  I have been loyal to ACT since its inception, but I'm beginning to wonder! 

Any and all help appreciated. 

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT 2012 Pro Won't accept new Groups or new members to Groups

[ Edited ]

Hello remedlincc,
What is happening when you try to create a new group? Is there an error message? What about when you try to add a new member? One thing you can look at is your duplicate checking settings. You must be logged into the database as an Administrator user to access this setting:
- Tools > Preferences > Admin tab
- Click Duplicate Checking button
- Choose Group for the record type
- Either disable duplicate checking (uncheck the box at the bottom), or leave it enabled and ensure that at least one field (preferably Group Name) is selected for Duplicate Match Settings.
- I would also do the same for Contact and Company settings

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Thanks, Mr. Hollister! I'll give that a try.

Did you find the answer to your questions?  Because the same thing is happening to me.  I have done what the moderator suggested already, but I still can't create new Groups.

Mr Hollister, this does not work with me either.  Cannot create Groups, have done what you suggested but I still keep getting the error message, and then have to use Task Manager to quit ACT.  Can you help please?  It seems to be a bug.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Catherine,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. What version of ACT! are you using? What is the error message you are seeing? Can you create new contacts or new companies without error? Is duplicate checking turned on or off?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Worked for me!! Thanks much!