Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2011 takes 4.5 minutes to load on Terminal Server user

Bronze Contributor

ACT 2011 takes 4.5 minutes to load on Terminal Server user

Loaded ACT to Server 2008 Service Pack 2. Installed using Terminal Server install from Control Panel and all appeared to go well. Started as Administrator and all seemed well.

Logged in as Standard user and it takes 4.5 mins to load ACT and bring up login screen for shared database. changed user to member of Administrators group but this made no difference.

Removed and reinstalled - no change

Created new user - no change

Tested on Demo database - no change

System Windows Server Standard

Service Pack 2

8Gb RAM

64 bit OS

Intel Xeon 3.6GHz x 2 processors

Appreciate any advice to resolve

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.
Bronze Super Contributor

Re: ACT 2011 takes 4.5 minutes to load on Terminal Server user

Paul,

I've encountered a similar situation where the clients brand new and highly spec'ed Terminal Server simply ran ACT! slowly.

What helped resolve it was giving the ACT! users (via a Windows Security Group) admin rights to the following:

• ACT! Specific
    • %programfiles%\ACT\Act For Windows
    • %programfiles%\ACT\Act For Windows\plugins
    • %appdata%\ACT
    • C:\ProgramData\ActData
    • \\{server}\ACT\
    • Registry key: HKLM\SOFTWARE\ACT
    • Registry key: HKCU\Software\ACT
  • Addon specific
    • Folder: {My Documents}\{Addon name}
    • Folder: {My Documents}\{Addon name}
    • Folder: \\{server}\ACT\Databases\{databasename}-database files\{Addon name}
    • Registry key: HKLM\SOFTWARE\{Addon name}
    • Registry key: HKCU\Software\{Addon name}

Your mileage may vary, but I hope it helps you.

Ben.

Bronze Contributor

Ben appreciate the response and good advice but I believe have found the cause and answer for a totally different tact which raises more questions.

This site runs a proxy server and the IT guy opened all of the protocols and ACT loads fine for all users, in fact it seems faster on this server than most once this was done but he wants to lock down the system by limiting websites available to users.

He began by turning off HTTP, HTTPS, FTP and then SOCKS. With all but SOCKS ACT worked fine

So what SOCKS ports, website IP's, is ACT using at startup that the IT guy can whitelist is being used?

It seems that something has changed as another site with same IT guy is not experiencing this problem which seems strange being on the same version.

Paul Buchtmann

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.
Bronze Contributor

So does no one from Sage know the answer to what should be a fairly straightforward question?

Paul Buchtmann

Bronze Contributor

so this problem still has no resposne from a Sage technical person and if an answer exists maybe it could be passed to a programmer to know what is going on here ????

Paul Buchtmann

Bronze Elite Contributor

My guess is it's simply Act.com.

Use this tool to analyze all traffic.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=4865

Filter it for ActSage.exe.

This will be different in different regions. 

Bronze Contributor

Ben,

Appreciate treply and will go and test using the tool you suggested. What I can say is that it relates to some pages in the welcome page and some of the website references that are not resolved correctly.

Having spent some time on this and working with a network admin he suggests that there are errors in the references.

Paul Buchtmann