Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! 2011 slow to open

ACT! 2011 slow to open

[ Edited ]

Any ideas on what is going wrong with Act 2011.  I has become incredibly slow.  i cannot use it.

I cannot even get it to fully start-up so i can look at my contacts. 

It did not start this way, but has progressively gotten worse the more contacts and tasks I have added.

Mark

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT! 2011 slow to open

[ Edited ]

Hello ostie1,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. Is the program slow to open or are you getting an error message? Which screen do you have as your startup screen? Is it the Welcome Page?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

[ Edited ]

Thank you for the quick response.

Is it slow to open - Yes - extremely.  It has progressively gotten worse.  yesterday I was at least able to view the contacts page and search for contacts.  Today, double-click to start the program, it does the welcome, and then never goes "full screen"  I only have the little Act!2011 symbol at the bottom of my taskbar.  It has sat for 10-20 minutes and nothing pops us.

No error messages.

[ Edited ]

The first thing I would try is changing the startup screen from the Welcome Page to maybe Contact Detail. The issue may be the external content on the Welcome Page is slow to load due to your internet or firewall settings.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

[ Edited ]

Dumped the welcome page.  Rebooted system.  Now it will not even load. 

Does the start but then only the Act 2011 image sits on the bottom of Windows taskbar.  No dashboard comes up.  I have a lot of tasks (200).  Is that a problem.

Mark

[ Edited ]

The tasks might be an issue if you have active alarms set for a number of them, since those load at startup. Slow load can also be caused by a damaged preferences file. Try the manual preferences rebuild method found in the bottom half of KB Article 14770.

Also, I have created a new topic for this thread, due to the length of the the original post and the issue does not seem to be related.

Greig Hollister

I greatly appreciate the help. I have done what you have listed above twice. Each time i am able to open Act! once and look for about 1 to 2 contacts. As soon as the screen is minimized or i switch to another application (internet explorer) - BOOM - I'm done. I cannot get to maximize the window and view contacts. Again, the Act icon sits on the taskbar and will not maximize.
-Is there an online service that might be able to address this? I have 17,000 contacts in this data base and it is the "lifeblood" of my small company. I used the old Act for serveral years with no problems but his is very frustrating and time consuming.
Nickel Contributor

I have seen this occur when there is a memory card reader in the computer. if you have one, I would suggest yo udisconnect the drives and see if that improves the situation.
Travis Rosevear ACC for
Act Today Australia and New Zealand
Copper Contributor

I had the same issue and found my solution.

1st - per another post, I disabled TeamViewer's QuickConnect button under Options > Advanced > Configure > unchecked box. But this didn't solve my startup issue.

2nd - I use an Android smart phone which recharges using the USB port. Whenever I plug it in, the phone asks if I'm charging or transferring data. Win7 will not reboot with it plugged in, and when I saw your comment, I unplugged the phone. As soon as I did, ACT! 2010 (yes, I have last year's version) started normally.

Hope that helps someone.

Thanks for the comments. Unfortuately the only item hooked up to the laptop is an external mouse.

I have pretty much given up on Act and am very, very dissappointed.  I have wasted a lot of time trying to get this to work and I now cannot access my contacts.  I only have the Act program symbol shown on my taskbar and (on rare occasions) if i double-click on it, the alarms list comes up.  I cannot click on a task and have it open. It does nothing.

I attempted to call Sage.  After 10+ minutes on hold, I was told my company did not have a service contract/plan and would need to get one before anyone could help.

Frankly, if I would like to be able to have someone look at it online and see what can be done.  If not, then I may just dump the program and use something else.  My time is worth more.  Unfortuately, 8+years of contacts will be useless.

I have new Sage Act, Outlook 2010 (some contacts and appointments in Outlook).   I would prefer that they not be linked, except for using Outlook for email so that i could continue my email marketing.  It has been down since I Added act!2011.