Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Elite Contributor
Accepted Solution

ACT 2011 "Forgetting" Email Setup

THE SETUP:

Win 7 Pro x64

ACT 2011Ver 13.0.401.0, Hot Fix 2

Outlook 2003 (11.8330.8329) SP3

3-node LAN with one of the nodes acting as the server (running Win XP Pro).

I run Tools|Preferences|E-mail & Outlook Sync and set the Email Settings to point to my database (which is hosted on another computer on the LAN).  All is well and functions properly between ACT and Outlook. 

Settings:

E-mail systems:  Microsoft Outlook

Outlook address books:  \\NIP_SERVER\Master_13 (default)

E-mail editor:  Microsoft Outlook / Send e-mail from Microsoft Outlook

The Outlook Synchronization options for Calendar and Contact sync are disabled.

Over in Outlook I see the ACT! Address Book listed in Directories and Address Books.

THE PROBLEM:

At the end of the day I shut down my computer.  The next morning when I startup and load ACT the "Outlook address books: " entry is blank.  The "E-mail systems: " and "E-mail editor: " entries are retained but ACT has lost the address book.

This same behavior is observed with another computer on the LAN.  When the computer is shut down the address book link is lost. 

It is as if ACT is "forgetting" the email setup.  This did not happen with ACT 2010 (or any earlier version of ACT for that matter).  We upgraded to ACT 2011 last week.

Any idea as to how to fix this situation?

Thanks,

Greg

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author GregH
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Elite Contributor

Re: ACT 2011 "Forgetting" Email Setup

[ Edited ]

Well, I was able to get help from ACT Tech Support.

The answer is to copy the .PAD file to a local sub-directory on each user's computer.  This way the Outlook pointer can always see the local .PAD and keep the link alive.

Yea, success!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author GregH
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well, I was able to get help from ACT Tech Support.

The answer is to copy the .PAD file to a local sub-directory on each user's computer.  This way the Outlook pointer can always see the local .PAD and keep the link alive.

Yea, success!

Copper Contributor

I'm very frustrated with ACT Technical Support.  I waited over 90 minutes yesterday before reaching a live person (In India?) and had trouble understaning this young man.

I was trying to set preferences for my new ACT 2011 software.  I only have Google Chrome (Gmail) you my email needs.

After a short conversation, this Tech Support representative told me I needed Outlook Software in order to make this Email system work.

Is that correct? 

Ed Coyoli
602-717-5369

Platinum Super Contributor

Hello Ed,

Welcome to the ACT! Online Community!

It is correct that the ACT! Email client will not connect to email providers that use non-standard ports (25 and 110).  Gmail uses non-standard ports.

Using Outlook is the prefered method (if Outlook is available), but there are conversations within the community about the use of port forwarding/tunneling programs.  Here is a link which contains steps for setting up the program by 'SteelBytes': Using 'Steel Bytes' program.

You may want to search the internet for other port forward/tunneling options.

Note: Port forwarding/tunneling programs are not supported by Sage.

Greg Martin
Sage