Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2011 possible tampering detected

Highlighted

ACT 2011 possible tampering detected

Hi,

First, I realize ACT2011 is not compatible with Windows 10 and is no longer supported. I just want to see if anyone here has experience with the issue below.

That said, with Windows7 no longer supported I had to upgrade my work PCs to Win10. I selected the option to upgrade while keeping all files and apps. I was worried about ACT2011 not working since I know I can't reinstall it, but it worked perfectly with no problems on the first 3 PCs. The screen popped up to enter the dialer info, I entered my area code, clicked OK and it went straight to the sign in screen and everything worked like it should.

Then I tried to start ACT on our 4th PC. The dialer info screen came up. The Area Code was already filled in this time so I clicked OK. The splash screen came up with the ACT logo and then I got an error message stating the following:

This software is encrypted to provide copy protection. Certain virus scanning programs may prevent the software from starting due to their heuristic analysis.

Please add this software to the white-list of the anti-virus program and restart. Contact the software publisher for additional information and compatibility.

When I click OK on the popup message the program immediately closes.

I tried disabling all the Win10 security settings including Real Time Protection, Tamper protection, etc with no luck. I tried starting the program in Compatibility Mode and Running as Admin. I get the pop up every time.

In searching Google I've found a few posts of people getting this popup with other programs, but I can't find any solutions given for it.

We are using a legit version of Act2011 with 5 licenses and like I said have no problem running it on our other PCs with Win10 configured the same way it is on this PC.

Has anyone seen this before?

Thank you.

Highlighted

Re: ACT 2011 possible tampering detected

[ Edited ]

I may be completely off the mark, here, but try doing an MD5 or SHA256 hash of the .exe files in the Act program folder, on both the nonfunctional machine, and one of the functional ones. Compare the two, and see if they match.

I've seen rare cases where a file infector virus changed a file, and after it's cleaned the hashes don't match, because the cleaned file is different than the original. If it's looking for an exact file match through a hash or some other method, it may not be finding it if this machine has been infected at some time in the past.

Edit:  Actually, add .dll files into that, since they're technically executables, too.