Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2011 hangs multiple times a day

Copper Contributor

ACT 2011 hangs multiple times a day

I am running ACT Pro 2011 HF6 under win 7 pro.

Act hangs repeatedly and to date I have not been able to identify the pattern.  I leave ACT on all the time, except for an ocassional nightly reoboot.

Most days ACT will hang several times during the day.  Some times it will go 3-4 days without hanging.  After a hang I can either reboot, or use the windows task manager to kill it. 

Sometime I will be using ACT, go away for a meeting and when I come back it will be hung.  Is there anyway to put some sort of trace in place to see what it is doing when it hangs?  Does any one have suggestions for options to try out or ideas as to what might be causing this?

I have already tried a complete reinstall (reformat drive, reinstall windows, reinstall ACT etc). 

I run scheduled maintenance on the database every night.

I use companionlink 5 (build 5026) to sync with my Black Berry

I sometimes use the ACT - Outlook calendar sync when I notice that ACT missed new appointments in ACT

Thge CRMADDON DIALIT addon (skype) and Dymo label printer are the only addins

The PC is running an Intel I7, 12gb ram, SSD disc.  Lots of available cpu and disc.

To date I cannot identify a pattern between anything I am doing and when the hang occurs.

I am running a single user version and the database and app are both on my desktop PC.(I also have a copy of ACT on my laptop wich I sync to my desktop master version every 2-3 weeks)

===========================
Ken Wiens
Project and Program Manager
www.kgw-consultants.com
============================
Copper Contributor

Re: ACT 2011 hangs multiple times a day

It's been an additional 3 months and this problem persists. The frequency has decreased to about once a day (sometimes I can even go 2 days without it hanging - but that is only if I don't use ACT very much).

===========================
Ken Wiens
Project and Program Manager
www.kgw-consultants.com
============================
Bronze Super Contributor

Re: ACT 2011 hangs multiple times a day

Try temporarily disabling all of your plugins to see if that makes a difference.  (see the DevNet forum for a free tool called Plugin Manager which once installed will let you easily do this w/o installing/uninstallling).

If this makes a difference, then you are on to something.  One by one, bring them back online, allowing enough time in between to ascertain the potential culprit clearly.

If that yields no fruitage, you mentioned in your original post you had another PC...  Is it seeing the same behavior?  If not, what is different?

Logically, being that you have uninstalled and re-installed and are apparently seeing the same results, then it is not an issue with the ACT! installation on the machine but something between ACT! and the surrounding environment.

Since everyone else who uses the same version of ACT! does not see this behavior, there is something specific to the configuration of that PC that is throwing a monkey wrench in the scenario...

You mention you see it when you walk away...

How about power settings?  Shut down the hard drive after <x> minutes, etc....

Hope this offers some avenues of investigation.